Question: Setting up a tank

Imy

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Imy

Hey Everybody.

I was just can anyone give me some advice for setting up a basic tank for an axolotl?

Now i mean the utmost basic so i know where to begin setting up a tank before I add a new member to my household. hahaha.( currently own 3 dogs and 15 fish 8 cloudy white minnow and 7 goldies)

I have been contemplating purchasing a axolotl for quite some time now and am sure I am ready.

I would specifically like to know what kind of cycle i should like the tank run on before buying the axie and would sand or a bare tank base be best and if buying an adult should I get two together for companionship as I know that young axies can have cannibalistic habits .

Thanks for all yer help.

Imy

First of all theres only one type of cycle when your dealing with aquatic animals, and it's the nitrogen cycle. If you have all of those fish I'm assuming you understand it, but if not you need to start researching before you get one.

Cool cool.

Can i ask you:

Would you recommend that if buying an adult would it be best to buy 1 or 2? Is companionship important for axies as adults?

Just found the sister site for axies there. Packed full of info. Definitely going to go through that site with a fine comb to get everything i can out of it before i do purchase any axies.

Thanks for the Help...

I actually don't have an axolotl yet, so I'm probably not the best source of information, but I have been researching pretty heavily as I plan on getting one soon. From what I've read they do not need companions and are just fine by themselves. They also have about the same care as fish, water quality wise. Most people claim a 15 gallon tank is enough for on adult axolot. My college has one adult axolotl in a twenty gallon tank and it's pretty depressing to watch because it is so cramped, so I'm planning on sticking one axolotl in a 40 breeder. It doesn't matter whether you use sand substrate, or barebottom, as long as the substrate doesn't have gravel, or rocks that are not bigger than it's head. Axolotl's tend to swallow anything smaller than their head that is in the substrate, and swallowing a rock is not good for them. Also another thing you should know is tankmates are usually discouraged as they can pick at axolotl's gills.
Another basic care requirment is that they need cold water. So if you have a basement that is probably the best place to put your tank. Otherwise you're going to have to use cooling methods to make the water colder

As I understand it, axolotls aren't the most social creatures and while two or more adults ( depending on tank size, of course :) ) can get along quite well with each other, they are quite happy on their own.

Good luck with your decision to get an axolotl- they are quite awesome little creatures, IMHO. So thats my 2 cents worth.

Another basic care requirment is that they need cold water. So if you have a basement that is probably the best place to put your tank. Otherwise you're going to have to use cooling methods to make the water colder

Dont need to worry about cold water carsona246. i live in Ireland and never gets any hotter than 27C in summer. Thats if we are really lucky. hahaha.

Thanks for the Information.

________

Thanks Rhysmachine101 for the information. Its good to know i can keep adults alone so i dont have to worry about accidental breeding. hahaha...:proud::proud::smile::proud::proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back