Axies not breeding

helobed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Ollie
Hi,
I have 1 male leucustic and 2 female golden albinos one of which i dont think is quite mature yet. Anyways the male is quite large has very dark fingertips and swolen cloca gland behind his legs and the other golden female has already spawned about 3 months ago with a different male. I am trying to get the to breed and at the moment I am:
keeping their 3ft tank temp at 15-18 C
giving them about 10 hrs of daylight
feeding them live food
and their tank looks a bit like a forest with all the plants and rocks I have put in

I have kept this setup for about 3 weeks and nothing has happened... not even a spermaphore:( what else can I do to get them to breed? any tips or advice?

heres some pics of the tank the male and the mature female:

thanks,

Last edited:
Hi,

you can only wait, so be patient. If they feel to breed, they will do. :D They main breeding time for axies is in winter and winter still has begun.

Tina

Some people have said that changes in temperature can tempt them into breeding. I don't really know how successful that is though. Right when you think they are never going to breed, they'll do it!

Not sure if this would work, but when I had my male separated from my female for a few weeks and then put her back in, he showed a lot of interest in her. :)

I would suggest separating the male from the ladies for a while. He might show increased interest when he is returned to them. I have had males depositing spermatophores upon being placed in a tank with another axie for the first time, even another male.

I agree. I've got the same advice. (That actually didn't work to me because the female turned out to be a male XD)

maybe take the light down 15 or 30 mins each week to make it feel it is getting toward winter

hi, and thanks to evryone for your helpful advice :happy: before putting them into the tank about 4 weeks ago they had been seperated for some amount of months but probably good to try this again.
daylight hours are now down to 6 (I have been gradually dereasing them).... dont know if it means anything but my little lady axie is always sitting in the top branches of the plants she looks so funny

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back