Black toe tip question

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello All!

I have 3 adult axolotls a wild male - Florence, a leucistic male - Finley and a gold female - Freddie.

I had Finley from an egg and the other two from a couple of months old they will all be 2 in Feb.
Finleys (leucistic) toe tips went dark at around 4 months. He didn't show as a male til around 9 months by then his toe tips were normal again.
I dont remember Freds going dark at all.

Anyway.....my question is, do axolotls toe tips stay dark once they are adult?
I have seen many pictures of adult axolotls with dark toes, but mine are not.

They are sexually mature and breed regularly.

I was just curious to know if other peoples axolotls toes stayed dark.

Thanks for reading! :D

Mel

Isn´t that when they want to breed. Light coloured axolotls get dark toes and dark axolotls get light toes, but i am not sure.

An axolotl doesn't necessarily get dark toe tips at sexual maturity, but it does happen frequently.

As for them changing color, I'm not surprised. They vary a LOT when they're that young. They often grow out of or into a color as well.

I've also seen dark toe tips on my smallest albino axie. And he/she/it is still far from maturity. I'm not sure about the maturity thing. But my big leucistic male has slightly dark toe tips for months now and he's almost 2.

My female golds toes get darker and lighter. They were super dark just before she laid he first lot of eggs and then went back to a pale grey shortly after and sort of phased in and out but never as dark as back then. They are really dark again now so I'm hoping she and Dillon will give me some more eggs soon :happy:

Thanks for your replies.

Mine dont ever seem to have dark toe tips.
I just find it a little odd as they are not related and neither have dark toe tips. Ive seen others with almost black toes, I thought that they were the normal ones and mine were weird lol.

As I said its not a worry as they breed regularly so i know there are no problems.

Thanks
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back