Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Question

wickedzik

Reaction score
I have Cynops Orientalis newts under a 15gal tank, recently I added sand as substrate.

P1040904.jpg

I feed them defrosted bloodworms which sink at the bottom of the tank. But I just realized that it's possible for them to accidentally consume some sand when sucking down those bloodworms.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Don´t worry, sand is not a problem. It goes through the digestive system and is expulsed with the feces with no harmful effects. I´ve even heard the argument that it can benefitial because of the cleaning effect as it goes through, but i ignore if this holds true for our animals. It´s not harmful, that´s for sure.

I see in the pic what i had noticed in your other thread, you don´t use any plants at all. Is this for personal preference? I would very much recommend using plants, and in large quantities! These newts love densely planted areas, and you wouldn´t believe how easier they make to maintain water quality.

carsona246

Reaction score
I second that, I let my plants go crazy in a fish tank once and realized that my parameters were perfect all the time

wickedzik

Reaction score
Ooh, I see. That's amazing! I kinda had the thought that it would be very bad for them since I thought sand is indigestible. Thank you very much for the info Azhael. As for the plants, it's really on top of my to-do list. Gonna get lots of aquatic plants (floating and non-floating) for my newt tank.

I think I have to thank you twice, because I never knew that plants can affect water quality in a good way. I'm new to the hobby, but I'm learning a lot from you guys. Thank you so much. I'll post the pics of my newt tank once I get my plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!