Help me identify him

missingabutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found him in the garage getting ready to be cat food, when he was supposed to be out hibernating, and am worried that it has been too cold to put him back outside. I live in Bellingham, WA My guess is that he is an Ensatina. Right now he lives in a tank with 1/2 rocks and glass rocks and 1/2 water. There is also a stick and some fake leaves that cross the tank. I've been trying to get him to eat small mealworms and salamander pellets, but doesnt eat anything. I also got reptisafe for his water. I've also been avoiding putting on my heater so that it doesnt get above 70'. Please help :confused:

Attachments

• sal1.jpg
    sal1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 226
Yes, that's an ensatina. I don't know what your weather is like, though I would suspect that winter temperatures there are likely above freezing most days. Natural locations for ensatinas are deep piles of bark or rock. Returning it to such a spot, it could likely move safely deeper.

Otherwise, the same applies in captivity - deep rock piles or stacks of bark. With some water at the bottom and dead leaves, soil, or plants, they'll choose their prefered moisture by moving up or down. Add pill and sow bugs and they'll eat those as convenient. You won't see it much.

Your setup is ok, but really doesn't meet the needs of an ensatina. Don't worry too much about observing it eat. They will eat crickets and isopods, and probably small mealworms.

They are also illegal to keep in WA, though no-one is likely to make an issue of it.

Thats a nice little guy. The set up does seem fine but I wouldn't encourage the temps to get over 70 thats a little high. I'd put my aim on like 60, which seems more comfortable for salamanders. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back