Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl won't eat

ejda

Reaction score
I've had an axolotl for about 5 years and it has been on and off fat and normal. We've been feeding it fishing worms and he's been fine until about 3 weeks ago. He has not eaten in about 3 weeks and he has shrunk until you can almost see all his bones. He sometimes gets the worm in his mouth but it gets out soon after. I have tried cutting the worm into tiny pieces and putting it on his mouth and he would get it in his mouth after some prompting. The worm would stay in his mouth for 10 min and he would never swallow it. He just spits it back out. He has still not eaten.

Is there anyway to get him to eat? or is there some type of tumor in his throat that won't allow him to swallow?

Under his "chin" you can see veins and its dark. His head has not shrunk at all like his body has.

Attachments

• 1208100000.jpg
    1208100000.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 1208100001b.jpg
    1208100001b.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 1208100001a.jpg
    1208100001a.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,248
  • 1208100002.jpg
    1208100002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,002

AuraCantos

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means... but my guess would be impaction. You have him on gravel that's small enough to be eaten. You say it looks dark, it could be the gravel showing through his skin. To me, it sounds like he ate some gravel that got stuck in his throat, and now he can't get anything down. :-/

But that's just my two cents. I'll let someone more experienced confirm or dissprove that.

ejda

Reaction score
That can be the problem except his throat is more dark than rocky. I've almost seen all of the inside of his mouth when he is eating and I don't think I saw rocks. If it is the rocks, then is there a way to get them out or do something to them?
Thank you

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Get him off the gravel ASAP. Put him in a plastic container in the fridge. Do DAILY water changes with fridge-temperature dechlorinated water. See if he poops out gravel. This is a matter of life or death.

While he's hopefully recooperating in the fridge, you need to rethink your tank. Gravel is deadly for axolotls. He also needs lots of hiding places, and you need to be able to monitor your water quality.

ejda

Reaction score
How big should the container be? And how long should I keep him in the refrigerator?
Thank you so much!! I will do it ASAP

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Shoebox size is fine, but anything big enough to let him lay full size without being crumpled. Keep him in the fridge for at least a week.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Any container you have that will be able to house him with enough room to fit completely. It appears it has something lodged in his throat, can you feel the lump under the chin to see if it is solid or can be removed?

ejda

Reaction score
Thank you so much to everyone who helped. I have put the axolotl in an 8 cup container with dechlorinated water in the fridge at 41*. I also felt under his chin and it's hard but I don't think I could move what ever it was. I didn't want to hurt him or squeez him too much. I'm going to give him new water everyday. How long should it take to see results? I will post pics of him and his container for a confirmation. Hopefully he will be able to eat again.
Thanks again.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you can without stressing him too much, try to get his mouth open and see if there's something in there.

He should poop within a few hours of being in the fridge, but I would keep him in there for at least a week. You're going to need some time to make the necessary changes to your tank anyway.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely try and figure out if that object in the throat is something that can be removed. If it is a foreign object lodged in the troat, it is likely the cause of the weight loss/inability to eat. Think about it...if you had a giant object stuck in your mouth/throat, you wouldn't be eating much either. Nothing is going to help if the animal is unable to swallow anything due to a blockage.

Edit: After just a few more seconds of thinking about the situation and reviewing the pictures..I can almost guarantee that there is a large stone stuck in the Axolotl's mouth...your only solution is going to be physically removing the object, or bringing it to a vet to have it done.

ejda

Reaction score
Ok so I've had him in the fridge for 3 days and nothing has happened. I tried feeding him and he barely moves. It's like his body is in shut down mode and won't move. The fridge is at about 39* because that is the highest it goes.
So as you said there is most likely a rock in his throat, how would I get it out? Just open his mouth with my hands and stick them down his throat? Seems a bit harsh. I also think he would squirm a lot with my hand in there. Is there any part of his body that I should avoid? I've heard of not touching is gills though.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try ringing the axolotl just behind the gills with your thumb and forefinger. Then wrap the rest of your fingers around his body, behind his front legs. This will stablize him the best. Then gently pry open his mouth with something rounded, but flat (like a clean credit card). You may have to have someone help you with this. If there is something in there, try to remove it with forceps. You may have to turn it sideways, or jostle it as needed. Your axolotl will squirm like crazy during all of this.

Your axolotl likely will not move and not eat while in the fridge. It's really important that you try to remove whatever's in his throat, or take him to a vet! He will die without intervention.

ejda

Reaction score
So I opened his mouth up with my fingers and I saw inside his mouth and there was a huge gray blob that looked like a worm but it was I think attached to him. if axolotls have toungs then this guy has a big one. I could not see past the blob. Is it some type of tumor?? That might be the reason he cannot eat.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It could be a mass, or an infection.

Have you contacted a veterinarian yet?

Morrison

Reaction score
I would definitely contact a vet. It doesn't sound good

ejda

Reaction score
What can I do for a mass or infection? We have not contacted a vet yet

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A veterinarian can remove a mass, and give antibiotics for an infection. This animal is beyond home remedies.

ejda

Reaction score
I heard from a (human) doctor that an infection could not last more than 3 weeks (which has been as long as he hasn't eaten) without him dying. So does this mean that it is the mass? And is it normal for a big blob to be in an axolotls mouth?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1