Question: New Herp Owner: My Newt Won't Eat!!

RoxMad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting a 10 gallon tank for my younger sister for Christmas, (loves aquatics!) and I went in a reptile shop to look around and I began inquiring about the owner's Peninsula Newts. After he gave me some info, I thought it would be a great way to add character to her aquarium! I bought the newt on Tuesday, kept him in the bag until we got the tank set up (Wednesday night) and released him. He swims around and floats alternately, but he will not eat! I purchased ZooMed newt food, and tried a few times to feed him. I figured the first time, he probably was just adjusting, but he wouldn't eat the next morning. I called the shop owner who told me to try bloodworms, since the newt may not like the smell of the pellets. I bought the worms, thawed them, and poured them all in (bad idea!). He showed NO interest at all! I let them stay in there for a few hours, but I doubt he ate any, since there are some in front of his nose, and he doesn't go for them. I vacuumed out most of the worms, and used a net to pour the water back in without putting the worms back in. He still has some in there (I couldn't get them all!). I talked to the shop owner again and he said he never had that problem before, but was very nice and told me to keep him posted and he would trade newts or try to feed him himself if I kept having problems. (Right now I'm home from college and I bought him there.) Any help?

Welcome to the forums.
Let´s see...is your sister´s aquarium cold or warm water? The newt needs temperatures that ideally shouldn´t go higher than 20ºC. Also, newts and most fish don´t mix at all well. They can chemically detect the pressence of fish in the water and this causes stress. Most newts actively inhabit only fish-less water masses.
Be patient with the food, the poor animal is stressed and will need to adjust. Try offering better food options like earthworms. Live foods are best, and you can also try waxworms, Daphnia, whiteworms, blackworms, small crickets, isopods...

Move the newt to a separate tank of its own, provide good care and be patient.
Read this caresheet:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt
You can also find info on water quality, illnesses, issues with mixing and much more in the Caudata Culture articles (see my signature).
Good luck to you and your newt!

For right now, the newt is alone in a tank without a heater. I purchased a heater, thinking it might need one, but haven't put it in yet. The guy at the shop told me he's never had newts that won't eat, and he didn't think a heater was the problem because where he collects them, it gets very cold.

I have a small tank to move him to if he needs to, but I'll keep compatible fish in mind when stocking the tank. I want to get him eating regularly before adding fish, though. I read the articles and more, and I appreciate all of your help! I saw that I should keep it dark for a few days? I was going to vacuum the tank again (there are still some bloodworms in there that I couldn't get last time) and then put a towel or something over it. How long should I do that? I have another 10 gallon right next to him, and the newt's tank is significantly cooler than the other tank.

My concern about feeding live food is 1) this is going to be too much for a 6 year old 2) it's going to be something I'm going to need to supply frequently and it will be expensive and 3) I don't want the fish to compete with the newt. The shop owner told me that the only thing I really need to make sure of with the newt is that he actually gets some food because they are so laid back that they will let the fish eat their food before it gets to the bottom.

I'll admit this was a bit of an impulse buy; we planned on getting the tank, and when the shop owner was talking to me about caring for the newt, it seemed very easy. I'm sure it will be, once I get over this eating hump. I'm an experienced pet owner, but the one thing I've never dabbled in is herps, and newts are probably as out there as you can get! I really do like the little guy and want to learn about keeping newts (it may lead to some more herp keeping in the future!). I really appreciate all of your help!

They will never need a heater. You need to keep the tank as cool as possible at all times. In the winter, my tanks usually drop into the 50's.

As far as fish, there are no compatible fish. The vast majority of newts and salamanders inhabit fish-less ponds, and those that do live in ponds with fish are so toxic the fish don't eat them.

A pet is a big responsibility for any person, let alone a 6 year old. I don't mean to be harsh, but you should have researched what it takes to maintain a newt before deciding to purchase it. A pet shop owner wants to sell you things; that's their goal, to sell things. They really should have live food; it's the best for them. Nightcrawlers cost $3 for 20 at WalMart, and with 1 salamander, you'll need maybe a container every 2 weeks.

Kaysie, you are absolutely right and I don't take your comment the wrong way at all. Now that I have researched everything about these little guys, I've realized that it's going to be too much for me to handle. I already have plenty of pets on my own, and I would just keep him if it weren't for my guinea pig who has recurring health problems. The shop owner agreed to take him back for me, so I'm going to take him back Wednesday or Thursday. Unfortunately, the fish we are getting are going to need a heater, so the newt has to be moved. I thought it would be something fun to add character to her tank, but should have researched it more heavily before buying the little guy. I would love to have him, as I think he is too cute, and I have a little 2.5 gallon he could stay in, but I don't know that it's enough space for him, and, again, I can't keep trying to get him to eat while I have so much else going on. It's probably too small anyway.

My new question is, then, how do I transport him? I have a 2 hour drive back to college (I bought him while in college.) and I'll likely have to return him the next day. I transported him in a fish bag before, and I can get one, but I also have that little tank I can put him in. Which is better? I want to move him as little as possible.

I transport all mine in tupperware. That way it has a lid, with no chance of escaping.

That's a good idea; I was thinking the bag is too restricting, but the water in the tank may slosh around too much while driving and upset him.

I'm kind of second-guessing my decision to return him...I haven't taken him back yet; I would be taking him back on Thursday.

I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I could put him in, keep without a heater, and I have plenty of bloodworms for now, newt food, and I can get some live food eventually. I can track his eating better without gravel on the bottom, I can give him a floating log or something, and he won't have to live with fish. I really don't like the idea of just "undoing" a decision where I take another life into my hands, so I'm exploring my options, here. I also happen to really, really like him! Would he do ok like that? Just exactly how cold is the water I'm supposed to keep him in? I was also wondering how often I need to do water changes (not sure if he's due for one).

Last edited:
I don't know much about peninsula newts, but 2.5 gallons is too rediculously small to be thinking about keeping anything but a betta fish in(and honestly I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 5 gallon). I mean a 10 gallon tank costs 14 bucks at walmart, and if you wait like a month you could at least find a decent craigslist deal. I don't know about your college, but my dorms only allowed up to twenty gallons, so i bet you could find a decent deal for a twenty on craigslist without breaking the bank.

Getting the bigger tank isn't the problem: I would need to get a filter, a hood, and a light. I was just curious as to whether that might work; he's pretty small, but I do agree I wouldn't keep much of anything in a 2.5 gallon as far as fish go. I already have a 10 gallon tank for my fish, but he's warm water and he'd attack the newt for sure. I'm sure I could find a decent setup, but I'd be pretty pressed for space even with the extra 2.5 gallons. The newt isn't the one putting a monetary strain on me; it's actually one of my other pets who seems to have a compromised immune system of some sort. It's all right; I'd rather do what's best for him.

If you have one newt, you can get away with no filter. They don't need light at all. You're better off getting a screen lid.

The water needs to be as cold as possible. I don't let my water get over 73F.

Water changes in small containers should be done daily, and every time the animal poops.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back