Question: My axolotl's tail has a raggedy edge.

Lora Cottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wild-type female, T-Rex, has a ragged ending to her tail. The thin part of the tissue has a shredded appearance. Is this normal? I will try to post a photo as soon as I can. I don't believe she has injured herself in any way, I don't know how it got like this!

Thanks for the help, it is great to have other axie lovers to talk to!

Do post a picture up!

If your axie is anything like my three... They are constantly ending up with nicks and bits out of their tail, goodness knows how, but it grows back remarkably quickly (within days). Always worth keeping an eye on it in case something funny happens to the wound or it doesn't heal properly though.

(Get a pic up though, just in case!)

I agree with mewsie, if they are kept together they're probably nipping each other.

My wilds tail is always getting nipped.

As above just keep an eye on it

Mel

Same here.

My guys are like 8 yr old boys, alway got scabby knees - tails in their case.

If the water temp and parameters are good, they should heal just fine.

Just watch for any odd behaviour, excessive redness, cotton wool fuzz - just like your 8 yr old boy with a scabby knee - keep the wound clean, watch it for signs of infection, but overall it's a normal part of a healthy life

bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back