Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Salamander Mouth Problems , please help :(

Jeffory

Reaction score
I got a paddle tailed salamander from Jack's the other day, and he hasn't ate since then. I figured it would take him a day or two to adapt and get used to the environment before he would eat, but then today, I noticed that he has this swollen white colored bubble in his mouth. It's actually so big now that he cant close his mouth all the way, and there is a bit of blood coming out of each corner of his mouth. It seems like this is a pretty serious problem. What should I do?:confused::confused:

Here is a pic , not the best, but you can kinda see what i'm talking abou
http://i54.tinypic.com/erkk6h.jpg

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That looks bad...
Your animal is not a paddletail, which is a common name usually given to the genus Pachytriton, but rather a member of the genus Paramesotriton, most likely Paramesotriton chinensis.
These are collected from the wild and exported in large numbers. Those that survive, by the time you buy them, are usually in bad shape, all are very stressed, and many are ill or dying.
Your animal could be having some kind of infection, which is very common. Perhaps someone else will dare give a more exact diagnosis.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would seek out the advice of a veterinarian. If it is an infection (seems likely), you'll need to administer medication.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One book I read has a similar photo and describes it as "mouth rot". It is an infection most likely, and the best hope would be some serious antibiotics.

Jeffory

Reaction score
Well I took it back to Jack's Aquarium , and they opened his mouth and looked at it. They said that his tongue was swollen and that he had some type of infection. They sent him off to their vet, where he said he would be treated or euthanize. Very sad though, I felt bad for the poor little guy. They gave me a replacement and he is healthy as can be :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1