Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nip in the tail...

siona

Reaction score
I just noticed today that my axie has a small nick out of her tail! I'm guessing her tank mate thought it would taste good. It's only small and she doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I was wondering how it's going to heal? Will it ever grow back completely? Or just heal over? I know they can grow back a limb, but what about bits of dorsal fin??

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This happens frequently when you have multiple axolotls in a tank. It should grow back completely, but don't be surprised if it happens again. Evidently the tail of a tank mate sticking out of a log looks enough like a worm to take a bite!

Just be mindful of fungus; sometimes it pops up with little nips.

Last edited:

siona

Reaction score
That's good - I wouldn't want her having a raggedy tail! I've got two and I've just upgraded their tank from 2 ft to 3 ft so they now have plenty of room to sit about not do much in!

zoezakella

Reaction score
siona - dont stress about it I have 3 axies and for the 1st time in 6 months all 3 are missing a bit of tail which is weird but all have grown back very quickly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!