Is this a fungus on King's gills?

Laaine

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Laaine <3
So I noticed it about a week ago but I wasn't sure if it was a fungus or if it was already there from before? I really can't remember. It could have been. Anyways, I am not sure of the water parameters at the moment but I was going to get some tests tomorrow and check it out. The temperature of the water is currently about 67F and sometimes goes up or down a degree. Is this too warm? There is no heater in the water and he is not near any windows or heatvents. I live in a basement suite so it is the coldest part of the house and he is a little lower to the ground cuz his tank is on a low coffee table so I am not sure of any other way to cool off the tank unless I got a chiller. But he seems happy. He is eating, and swimming around. I put some white cloud minnows in there for him to eat but he hasn't eaten them and now they just swim around. Should I take them out? They don't bother him that I have seen but they could bring disease into the water.
I can't get a clear picture of the whiteness on his gills but I got them the best that I could. It is on 3 of his gills, and covers more of one gill than the other two. Is it a fungus, and if so, how can I get rid of it? :( I really don't want it to be columnaris or something like that. I can't see any other whiteness on any other part of his body so I think that is a good sign?

I can't seem to add pictures but here is a link :

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/laaine20/KingAndysGills.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/laaine20/KingAndysGills2.jpg

Last edited:
the pictures aren't working

search for fungus and salt baths in the forum, you can compare other's pictures too

I added the picture links. they should work now

I really can't see in the pictures, try searching for fungus in the forum's search function so you can compare with your axie...

I can see the picures, but I can´t see any fungus. It s only normal pigmentation. You don´t have to do a salt bath. :D
The temp is ok, but you should do regulary water tests to prevent him from illness.

Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back