Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best way to travel with axolotl

carsona246

Reaction score
I'm going to need to travel with a juvinile and a larvae axolotl for 6 hours. I just wanted to make sure there were not any potential pitfalls in my plan. I am driving 6 hours, so I plan on putting the 2 axolotl's in seperate tubaware containers with holes on the top inside a cooler. I'm putting some blue ice packs on the bottom, with a towel over them to prevent the tubaware containers from getting too cold. I'll make sure not to feed them the day before to make sure they make as little waste as possible, and will be bringing a gallon jug of spring water for emergency water changes on the way. I'm hoping with the cooler I won't have to worry much about the temperature for the axolotl's. but if needed I can not turn off the heater the whole 6 hours. I'm also keeping a sponge filter in a bag of water so I can have a quick cycle when I put the juvinile in it's new tank once I get to my destination, and i plan on switching out the larvae's water every day, so I don't think having a second cycled spong filter is necessary. Anything else I haven't thought about or something potentially dangerous?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Your plan seems far too elaborate. All you need to do is put the little guys in seperate containers (no holes needed). Unless you are blasting heat in the car, the icepacks are not really needed either (depending on your location in the US). Especially since they are juvenile/larvael you are making this plan far too extravagant.

Where are you traveling to and from?

carsona246

Reaction score
From Arkansas to Texas, I guess I'm just worried about something going wrong, I've been looking forward to getting an axolotl for a while now and don't want anything to go wrong. It should be fairly cold in both places. You think they'll be ok in a tubaware with no holes, or icepacks in the cooler? Honestly it'll probably only take 4 1/2-5 hours but I just don't want to be unprepared.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When I travel in the cold, I put mine right behind my seat (since I'm short and there's the most room there). They don't get a direct blast from the heater, and putting them on the floor keeps them pretty cool. I've never bothered with a cooler or ice packs. Just take extra water.

blackdog

Reaction score
My travel tips?

Don't bother stopping at a bar for a drink.

* they don't talk much, so arent good company
* They can be aggressive, you don't want them knocking over a Texan's cow and tearing it's heart out (heh heh , my dig at the beef heart crew :) )
* They have short arms, and no pockets - so they NEVER buy a round of drinks
* They never dance, 'cos they hate the disco balls (no eyelids)

I'm with the others, probably over thinking it a little.

I tighly sealed container with cool water inside an esky should be fine. Maybe put a couple of ice packs under the tubs wil a folded towel in between the containers and the ice - keep the esky cool with out making the water tto cold.

And resist the urge to keep looking at them - a closed esky will be dark, quiet, and stay cool. You sticking your nose in every 30 minutes will let in light, move them around, make it noisy, and let out all the cool air.

They'll probably be nice and relaxed by the time you arrive.

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1