Caudata World, Meet Sheldon

chriswakef

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, I had only heard the word "axolotl" last year by chance as a work colleague exclaimed he had purchased a couple one day. I 'googled' the word "axolotl" that evening and found out the remarkable creature that belonged to this unique sounding name. Never did I think I would ever own one -- I've always been more of a tropical fish fanatic. Anyhow, a situation provided itself in which I acquired/rescued a 4.5 inch golden albino axolotl from a market in the beginning of March this year. He was the last one in this big white tub, swimming erratically in the mid-day sun and missing a front hand and back foot -- I was told by the shop owner not to worry as they would grow back! He was very pale yellow with short crusty gills and I told my boyfriend we had to take him home -- I had recently upgraded my aquarium and had a spare one ready. Lets just say it has been a rewarding 8 months with a great deal of time spent on Mr. Clare's Axolotl website: Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Sheldon is now about 6.5 inches long, he has a little tiny R back foot with toes and his L front forearm has two long fingers now. He also has red/pink frilly gills which are considerably longer than when I got him, but they are not as long as what I have seen in pictures. He is hand fed and very impatient when it comes to feeding time. I am still trying to figure out the "proper" feeding regimen for him as he gets bigger -- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome, and sorry you didn't get a reply for a while. I'd encourage you to post any questions you have in the axolotl sections of the forum, and you'll get a quicker answer there.

Hello everyone, I had only heard the word "axolotl" last year by chance as a work colleague exclaimed he had purchased a couple one day. I 'googled' the word "axolotl" that evening and found out the remarkable creature that belonged to this unique sounding name. Never did I think I would ever own one -- I've always been more of a tropical fish fanatic. Anyhow, a situation provided itself in which I acquired/rescued a 4.5 inch golden albino axolotl from a market in the beginning of March this year. He was the last one in this big white tub, swimming erratically in the mid-day sun and missing a front hand and back foot -- I was told by the shop owner not to worry as they would grow back! He was very pale yellow with short crusty gills and I told my boyfriend we had to take him home -- I had recently upgraded my aquarium and had a spare one ready. Lets just say it has been a rewarding 8 months with a great deal of time spent on Mr. Clare's Axolotl website: Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Sheldon is now about 6.5 inches long, he has a little tiny R back foot with toes and his L front forearm has two long fingers now. He also has red/pink frilly gills which are considerably longer than when I got him, but they are not as long as what I have seen in pictures. He is hand fed and very impatient when it comes to feeding time. I am still trying to figure out the "proper" feeding regimen for him as he gets bigger -- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Good for you!!! Well done!

I second the well done! Sheldon lucked out. I found my little Albi in a similar state in a shop and wouldn't leave without him :) Welcome to the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back