Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

And now they finally eat!

grius

Reaction score
This is awesome news for me that i want to share.

As for some others (what i have read here) i have had probleme feeding worms to tiger salamanders as they refuse them (dont know wich species worm i got, but they sure smells bad) However. that changed thanks to a new method i tried some days ago. And after soon 1,5years they finally have begin to accept worms!

First atempt 4 days ago the smaller tiger ate so many as 5st mediom size. And yesterday it ate 4st. So i know it was not just a temporary thing. The larger ate 2st in the first feeding and yesterday only 1st.But thats because he/she did enter the water container to late (were feeding take place) so i thought i should whait untill today and try again.

Easy method. First i put the worms in hot water, for about 30-40seconds to really make sure they are dead. I do this because of another probleme i notice a while ago, worms escaping while tigers tried to swallow. That was the main reason. But it also take away secretion.
After a time in hot water i move them to coold water for 1-2minues before feeding.

When i have tried to give worms on land they usuallu spit them out and rub their nose in substrate a while after.

So try this if you have same probleme with you salamanders, it worked for me.
Regrads.

vide

Reaction score
That's good news! I´m happy for you and your tigers, I know you´ve been struggling to get them to take worms. And thanks for sharing your method!

grius

Reaction score
That's good news! I´m happy for you and your tigers, I know you´ve been struggling to get them to take worms. And thanks for sharing your method!

Thank you Vide! It was a fantastic suprice..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1