Illness/Sickness: Spawning/out of h20/skin falling off

christen525

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
I know this is a long read but I am really worried about my girl...

My axie just spawned for the first time last Friday night. I read on the forum that I should take her away from the male and let her relax so I put her in a container until I could figure something out in the morning.
Well she must have bumped the top off b/c my husband found her the next morning (approx 5 hours later) on the kitchen floor.
She has been in the fridge since then.
I understand from reading posts in the forum that its normal for her skin to be coming off (the skin underneath looks healthy) since she was out of the water for so long.
However, her tail is VERY VERY curled as she hasn't eaten since I put her in there.

I am doing 100% daily water chages with refrigerated water and keeping her covered so that the light doesn't frighten her.

I'm trying to be patient and wait it out but I just want to make sure i'm doing right by her.

As a side question,

Does separating mean in a completley separate tank so she can sense him at all or can I use a tank divider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks

You're doing the right thing with the fridge. This is a good place for her to heal. She probably won't eat while in the fridge, but keep offering it anyway. Just give her time. It could take a week or more.

When her skin's done peeling, you can put her back in the tank.

As for the tank, if your female is continuously laying eggs, you will need to separate them, but you should wait to see if that's the case. Sometimes they don't need to be separated. If they do, you'll probably need a separate tank, as dividers are notoriously penetrated.

I just wanted to let you know that Mo passed away this morning ;*(

That's really too bad, Christen. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry to hear that... You were doing everything right :(

I'm sorry to hear that :(
The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago with one of my juveniles.

I didn't want to say anything earlier on in the thread, I hoped your little guy would make it.
I think sometimes its all just too much for them to cope with.

RIP Mo

Mel

Thank you all very much for your support, I really truly appreciate it. Not many people understand why I would get so upset over a "salamander" so its good to know there are people who love their axies as much as my husband and i do.
her eggs are all doing great though and I'm going to keep one of her babies that looks most like her.

That's a good idea. At least she will live on in spirit. It's funny how attached to the slimy little things some of us get. But my salamanders are just as much a part of me as my cat. I've had most of my salamanders longer than the furball anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back