Buying second hand aquarium advice

Nimby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I've decided if I get a tank for axolotl(s) it'll more than likely have to be a second hand one to be a good size for an affordable price. Where's the best place to look for them? Also what should you look for if you go to see one? I don't want to buy a leaky tank...

Also should you disinfect the tank before you introduce new axolotls and what's the best way to do this? I don't want my potential pets to die of what the former inhabitants died of. :eek:

Hi, you could look on Gumtree and Aquarist Classified Adverts

I can't give you any advice about what to look for. (But if you're unlucky and end up with a leaky tank you might be able to fix it. :happy:)

Regarding disinfection, bleach and some other things can be used. If you search the forum you'll find threads about this. I would definitely disinfect any previously used tank.

Posting a wanted ad on Freecycle might be worth trying:
United Kingdom (UK) Freecycle Groups' Homepage
I've had a few free tanks from people that have given up on fish-keeping.

Local advert papers like Adtrader are also good:
Ad Trader UK Classifieds

Leaks are unlikely to be a problem- of all the second-hand tanks I've had, none leaked that were not obviously cracked. And (off-topic) even cracked tanks can be useful for terrestrial animals.

Disinfect the tank with a 10% bleach solution. Rinse, rinse, and rinse again then let air dry out in the sun for a few days until the bleach smell has disappeared.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's good to hear that most of the second hand ones are water tight or repairable. I hadn't heard of freecycle, definitely something to look into, especially as I can narrow it to so near to me.

Good luck with the search.
If you use bleach to disinfect, you can also rinse the tank with a stronger solution of a chlorine removing water conditioner afterwards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back