Neurergus kaiseri

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have been asked to help provide information to Helena Olsson from Parken Zoo. She is currently trying to start a studbook for the Iranian newts that are in captivity across Europe.
It would be very helpful if people that are breeding them in captivity in the private sector could let me know how many they have and how many they have bred.
At the moment the status of this species is unknown in the wild but it is believed that there are more kept in captivity, but future research in the field is being looked into. We would like to find out the origin of the bloodlines that we have in captivity. As the numbers are believed to be less than 500 in the wild we need to safe guard populations in captivity, so that in the worst case they became extinct in the wild we know we have good bloodlines for possible reintroductions.
Any information you have regarding this species is very helpful thank you very much for your time.
Kind Regards
Jay Redbond
My work email address is: jay.redbond@wwt.org.uk

Hi Jay,

Sorry I have only just seen your post.
I think there may be a lack of replies because there are already existing stud books and posts in this forum like yours. Perhaps you would have more luck if you could tell us what you or Helena are going to do different?

I cannot include myself here, but most breeders of N.kaiseri that use this forum are very experienced and responsible breeders. Therefore it is my personal opinion that it is their protection in the wild (both habitat and illegal trade) that would best benefit from Helena's and your help. However if you are interested in finding out about other studbooks for this species, I would recommend researching Jochen Kopetsch.

Hi Jay, as Rob says, a studbook already exists for N.kaiseri, held by Jocken in Germany. He can be contacted on jochen.kop​etsc[AT]arcor​.de (replace [AT] with @ symbol).

Any zoo taking a serious interest in this species would be warmly welcomed. N.kaiseri is relatively easy to maintain and breed in captivity and therefore makes a perfect ex-situ conservation project.

We have an excellent caresheet - compiled by breeders and keepers of this species here: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Neurergus kaiseri

Thanks this helps a little although I am slightly confused because Richard Gibbson from the Amphibian ark told me that there isn’t one in Europe yet and Helena was about to start one and wanted help. But thanks for the information I will follow it up and definitely start a breeding program for this species.

Kind Regards
Jay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back