Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I feel so horrible, but I have no idea what to do?

Kayne

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi people

I bought my axies around May 2010. Everything was going fine untill around a month ago, Where this green algae appeared. I tried to clean it, but it just came back, Again I cleaned it, and it came back.
The third time I tryed to clean it, It all clumped and now i have no idea how to get rid of it. It covers Log, it covers the sand (ALL OVER THE SAND.), It covers the java moss, and also it covers the sides of the wall, getting so thick at points that it peels off into a strand (this has happened in 2 places on the take wall)

The only place its not covering would be under the half hollow log (where the axie's "chill")
My tank set up is 85cm x 50 x 50, with a 80cm tube light on top.

Actually, Thinking about it now, That would make alot of sence. By the looks of it the algea has been surviving off light. I'll try removing the light for a while, but if you guys can help me at all, i'll appreciate it!

blackdog

Reaction score
Algae will thrive on light and high nitrates.

So, the first thing everyone will want to know is water parameters -

Temp,
Set up (lights, substrate etc)
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
GH
KH
Plants?

Yada yada - the more info the better.

However, if the light is on heaps, that's probably all it is.

Does the tank get a lot of natural light? If so, consider moving it to a darker spot, or covering it (covering is ugly of course)

I use a timer for my light, buy it from ebay or your local hardware. Experiment with how much light works for you - enough to keep the plants alive, but not enough to encourage algae. In my set up, i have the light on for 2 x 3 hour sessions.

Experiment with the timer, but if you have low light plants like java fern, wysteria, java moss, anubias - you wont need much, as i said, i know my tank is in a shaded part of the house, very little natural light, and just 6 hours per day - my plants are fine.

Plant more plants - plants use up the nutrients algae need - starve the algae out

You can also try Seachem flourish excel - Seachem. Flourish Excel

I am currently using flourish in my white cloud / shrimp tank and the axie tank. Flourish excel is a product to put carbon into the water (and encourage plant growth)

My shrimp tank has had an algae problem in the past and has hair algae at the moment. It gets lot of natural light. I have the light on a timer on that tank, and due to the loads of natural light i only have that light on for 2 x 45 minutes per day.

of course the flourish makes the plants grow bigger faster, therefore use more of the nutrients - starve the algae.

The flourish also seems to have another useful side effect - i havent used it long enough to confirm this
, but forum members at Aquariumlife - Home tell me that the flourish actually kills off algae. Like a selective weed killer.

So, here is what i would do -

* MOve the tank into a lower light location
* Turn the light on a timer 4-6 hours a day
* plant more low light plants
* Feed the plants flourish
* Clean the algae off the glass and ornaments regularly
* You could put in some algae eaters like Cherry Red Shrimp (but the axies will eat them :) )

Dont -

* Strip the tank, you'll have to cycle again
* Put in a algae eating fish, as they will probably also suck on the axies :)
* Panic. it's only algae, ugly, but natural. I think some algaes can be harmful in large doses, but most are just ugly

Hope that helps
Bren

Kayne

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Good to hear its not toxic! or atleast not by alot.

I've removed the light, and might give it to my dad to lighten up his tank.

The tank's light already had a timer, from 3pm to 11pm, but it seems like that was too much.

I'm quite unsure of how I can scrape / clean off all the algea. It's everywhere and does not get picked up by my little water...cleaning...thing.

Cheers for help :)

I'll post a pic and umm,... nitrate levels..etc tomorow, Its 1am and I'ld need better light! >.<

(is that slightly ironic? I removed light to fix a problem, now I need it to fix it?)

Last edited:

carsona246

Reaction score
algae doesn't actually hurt anything. it's a plant, and just looks bad. i've seen people keep fish who were perfectly happy in extremely green water

blackdog

Reaction score
If you have plants, i'd keep the light, just shorten the time it's on.

Cut it down to 2-3 hrs at a time, and twice a day. If it's dark outside, dont put it on, only daytime

I forgot another "do"

* Do regular large water changes - 20% t least once a week if not increase that to once every 4 days or so - this will lower the nitrate build up and again starve the algae out

Basically you need to starve the algae of it's life force - light & nitrates - anything you do to do either of those will help, but remember that your plants need exactly the same thing, so you have to find the limit where your plants will survive, but the algae wont

Thanks
Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!