Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus Mal. Questions

mudpuppi

Reaction score
I had a couple questions about the care of common mudpuppies. What size tank, temperature, diet and where to find one. Thanks

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
This care sheet on the common mudpuppy should answer most of your questions. The only 2 options for acquiring them is to go out in the wild and find your own (if legal in your state) or look around online.

mudpuppi

Reaction score
This care sheet on the common mudpuppy should answer most of your questions. The only 2 options for acquiring them is to go out in the wild and find your own (if legal in your state) or look around online.
Thanks a lot Justin I'm new to this forum and thought no one would reply. Also one last question..... I can't keep the temp in my house that low in the hotter months. The only time I can is maybe during the winter. Is their anyway to chill your aquarium all the way to the low 60's without spending a thousand dollars for an aquarium chiller. Thanks again and by the way my name is also Justin.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Justin I'm new to this forum and thought no one would reply. Also one last question..... I can't keep the temp in my house that low in the hotter months. The only time I can is maybe during the winter. Is their anyway to chill your aquarium all the way to the low 60's without spending a thousand dollars for an aquarium chiller. Thanks again and by the way my name is also Justin.

There are easy ways to keep an aquarium a couple of degrees cooler than the room temperature (sceen lid and fans). But if you need it to be more than a couple of degrees cooler, then you either have to spend $500+ on a chiller, or get a 1-room AC unit to keep the whole room cooler, or you have to do a lot of work setting up some kind of homemade cooling system (which usually involves moving around a lot of ice a couple of times per day - not exactly convenient). Various options are shown:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling
There might be other animals you could consider getting that would be less of a problem to keep cool.

Last edited:

mudpuppi

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help. Sorry to say, but I am pretty determined to have a mudpuppy. My second choice was a southern dwarf siren, but I haven't given up on the mudpuppy yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!