Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which newt to get?

Timor

Reaction score
I have been looking around and I have decided that I want to keep a newt. The onyl problem is that I am not sure which newt I would like. Can anyone make any suggestion of any newt which are good ones. I would really prefer one of the slimmer species and also dark coloured ones as I think they look the coolest :)

Thanks and please add how they should be kept if possible and any other information needed about their care and pictures if possible.

Timor

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You should decide what type of setup you want to keep (aquatic, terrestrial), how big a tank you are going to have and tell us what you are looking for rather than people telling you what you should get and telling you how to care them one.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
These are some good beginner species:
Pleurodeles waltl, Triturus carnifex, T.cristatus, T.karelinii, T.dobrogicus, Tylototriton verrucosus, Ambystoma mexicanum...
If you like slim bodied species then T.dobrogicus might be the ideal choice.

As for information and pictures, you can find all you need here:
Caudata Culture Home Page

Timor

Reaction score
I really like the T. Dobrogicus although why do some of them have like fins on the top? Also are there any slim bodied totally black ones? I like them types the most.

Thanks for all the quick replies

Timor

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The ones with the crests are males in breeding condition.
There are no completely black, slim bodied newts. The closest would be T.cristatus which is native to your country (and VERY protected), or perhaps some dark Calotriton. Otherwise newts do tend to be quite colorful or rather short bodied.

Timor

Reaction score
Stupid quesiton but... On the top left of the website there is sometimes a picture of a red, long and slim creature. What species is this? If you are not sure what I mean then that is fine. I think I need to look at a newt in real life to be know if it might just be the pictures that put me of from the colours seeing as when I got 4 praying mantises they looked so much cooler in real life.

Thanks

Timor

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what red, long slim newt you are referring to...but does it look like this?:

1+Red+Eft,+New+River+Gorge,+West+Virginia,+May+8,+2008+(8).JPG

That is a red eft...a stage of the Eastern Newt.

Timor

Reaction score
That looks great although it is not the one I mean. Here is 3 screenshots of some species which are on the top left which I really like. What species is that? I really like it.

Attachments

• Newts from caudata.jpg
    Newts from caudata.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 183

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
First one is Plethodon cinereus, second one is another Plethodon (not sure of the species), and the third one is Gyrinophilus porphiriticus.
There are about 500 different species, most of them (if not all) very cool and interesting. If i were you i would look into easily available species that are commonly captive bred, like the ones i mentioned before.
While you might be able to find P.cinereus for sale in the UK, they´d be WC and they aren´t the best beginner option. G.porphiriticus you won´t find at all.

Timor

Reaction score
WC?

I told you I was new to this :p

Thanks for the answers and you are really good at knowing the species!

Thanks so much

Timor

Timor

Reaction score
Just found 4 three-lined salamanders for sale and I know it is not a newt but I really like these species they look amazing! Also found some California slender salamander for sale which are also really great.

I like the three-lined more and I know they are not newts but does anyone have any information about these?

Thanks

Timor

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WC = wild-caught. Sadly, many newts and sals available for sale are taken from the wild. As you think about having an amphibian as a pet, you need to think about whether you want to increase the demand for animals being taken from the wild. There are captive-bred alternatives, although they may be slightly harder to find and in some cases will cost more.

Timor

Reaction score
Three lined are WC :( Won't get them.

California slender salamanders are CB :) Probably get them.

What is the dimensions of space they would need. 9 available although not wanting that many. Could anyone make a rough list e.g. 1 = xcm by xcm by xcm then 2= xcm by xmc by xcm then 3= and onwards.

If they could then that would be extremely helpful

Thanks

Timor

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bet an arm you´ve found those animals at Dartfrog.
I would not consider either of those two species to be good beginner options.

I´d advice you not to jump into it. Take your time and read as much as you can, and when your eyes are bleeding and you just want to go to bed and cry, read some more!!!! Reading is the only way you´ll be eventually prepared to give a caudate a good home and provide all it needs. If you rush into it you´ll be much more likely to make easily avoidable mistakes.

Read, read, read, read, read! xD I know it´s boring but it´s your responsability to be prepared and to not be impulsive, after all, we are dealing with live beings.

Timor

Reaction score
Ok I will read as much as possible. Although I find it easier to get direct questions because everyone's situations are different. Also where could I find reading materials? Would you definately not recommend those two species?

Thanks

Timor

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This forum is chock full of information, and you can also find loads of it in the sister site Caudata Culture.
And no, as i said, i really don´t think those are good beginners options at all.

Timor

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any other species which are like three-lined salamanders (slim and long) which I would be able to care for?

Thanks

Timor

DeCypher

Reaction score
I think (not positive) that Plethodon species are long and skinny, though I do not know where you would get these. I would recommend Red-spotted newts (Notophthalmus Viridescens) as they are an easy species to care for. They are not long and slender though...

mudpuppi

Reaction score
I love the red backed salamander which is one of the salamanders in the top off the page. They are completely terrestrial with no larval stage. Thanks Justin

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Timor - are you more familiar with keeping an aquatic/semi-aquatic or a fully-terrestrial habitat? Some of the species you are considering require water, some are best in a terrarium. Most people have a strong preference for the type of tank they prefer to maintain. This may also help you narrow down the choices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1