Setting tank for Axls' replacement.

epiphany101

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm resetting a tank for a (maybe two) Axie(s) and would like some info regarding oxygen requirements and filtration. We currently have two sources for getting oxygen into the water and are using "paddle wheel" type filter system. Are these sufficient? Should we scrap everything and start over? I have a 20 gal. tank and am considering adding sand for substrate. Also some larger rocks and plants for hiding. Just lost "my" previous Axolotl. I'm a student worker for the science lab at the college I go to. They will be footing the bill for this and I want to get the setup right the first time. Odd they would not pay for a vet bill for Axl, but will pay for new Axies and all the equipment:confused:. Still a little pissed :errr: about losing Axl...so they will have a nice bill for the new addition and his/her habitat. So, any help suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Only keep 1 Axolotl in a 20 gallon, and you don't necessarily need oxygen sources. The filtration and water changes will keep the water oxygenated enough. Do you mean you have a bio-wheel in a cascade filter that hangs on the back? If so, that is fine, but you need to make sure the water returning into the tank isn't disrupting the water too much. Canister filters are def. the best choice in terms of water quality and ease of maintenance.

Thanks Eric, yes it is a bio wheel. Wasn't sure about the oxygen requirements as I haven't been able to find anything about it. So, no need to pump O2 into the tank?

Nope, no need for any airstones...but you certainly can use one if you prefer.

I think most people just use the air pumps/air stones to help keep the water cooler. The air disturbs the top of the water, increasing evaporation but decreasing temp by a bit. Most axies will come up and take a gulp of air anyway, so I don't think air stones are completely necessary.

Nope, no need for any airstones...but you certainly can use one if you prefer.

Yup, ours just seem to like it. They both hang out in/around the airstone when it's on. We have the flow quite low, with fine bubbles though, big bubbles clearly don't tickle the tummy in the right way ;)

The movement of water accomplishes a number of things. It enables gas exchange more efficiently by exposing greater amounts of the water to the air. This is what causes the oxygen and carbon dioxide to enter the water. While some people to actually inject CO2 into the water to help in plant growth I've not heard of anyone who actually injecting O2.

I would recommend always using some sort of filtration system or airstone to help keep the water moving.

I understand that many people think that axolotls "stress out" if they are in moving water. My experience differs from that. Without water movement the tank will stagnate. This seems to me to set up dangerous situations that would result from the lack of adequate gas exchange. The tank cycle that is so often talked about here is dependent on the steady exchange of gases through the surface of the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back