Question: Axolotl Safety Transportation

Imy

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Imy
I setting up for getting an Axie. The tank is up, running and cycling for the last few days.
The problem is I will need to transport them home on the train with me for Christmas.

What is the best way to do this?

I need to know:

1. Should I have a carrier with enough water to just cover the Axie and put a lid on it with air holes.
  2. How big does said box have to be? Axies are about 15-18cm long.
  3. Shall I cover it up so it's dark? Using a towel or cloth.

*By the way - The train journey will be about 3 hours(3 1/2 hours max)
    *And Temperature ranging from -6 C/21 F to about 5 C/ 41 F (Outside temp.).

Sound Ridiculous, I Know...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks for the help.

Imy:happy::happy:

A 3 hour journey is really no problem at all. The box should be slightly larger than the axolotls. The holes in the box are optional. Cold-blooded animals use VERY little oxygen, so there is no real chance that they'd run out, with just the air in the box. You could seal them up tightly, with some air, and they'd be fine for half a day.

If the box is transparent, it would be a good idea to cover it and keep them dark. Less stress for them.

The outside temps should be no problem, as long as the water doesn't freeze. Try to stay in a cool area of the train; don't put them near a heater.

Thanks very much. I was wondering this because I was told by a local pet shop owner that
it can be very difficult transporting over a long period of time. 3 hours doesn't sound long but when your travelling home at night it just seems to drag on.

Thanks again really helpful.

IMY:frog::ufo::frog:

A 3 hour journey is really no problem at all. The box should be slightly larger than the axolotls. The holes in the box are optional. Cold-blooded animals use VERY little oxygen, so there is no real chance that they'd run out, with just the air in the box. You could seal them up tightly, with some air, and they'd be fine for half a day.

If the box is transparent, it would be a good idea to cover it and keep them dark. Less stress for them.

The outside temps should be no problem, as long as the water doesn't freeze. Try to stay in a cool area of the train; don't put them near a heater.

Thanks very much. I was wondering this because I was told by a local pet shop owner that
it can be very difficult transporting over a long period of time. 3 hours doesn't sound long but when your travelling home at night it just seems to drag on.

Thanks again really helpful.

IMY:frog::ufo::frog:

People ship axies all the time. They can easily survive 2 days in a plastic bag with water + air, as long as their temperature stays in an appropriate range. It's wonderful that you are thinking through all the details in advance. Good luck!

Thanks again. Gave you good rep. You definitely deserve it

:yin-yang:Imy:yin-yang:.

People ship axies all the time. They can easily survive 2 days in a plastic bag with water + air, as long as their temperature stays in an appropriate range. It's wonderful that you are thinking through all the details in advance. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back