Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cute / Funny moments

RobM

Reaction score
I've had a good day with my newts, I found an intact skin and got some fun interaction from one of my c/h.orientalis. I thought I would start this thread so others can share cute and funny moments they have with their animals.

My c/h.orientalis have often followed my finger moving on the outside of the glass, and been attentive when they think its feeding time. But today when I was cleaning out their tank with a turkey baster one seemed especially interested in what I was up to. I hoovered the turkey baster just above and in front of his head and he moved towards it and nudged it with his nose as if he was sniffing it. Stupidly I found this very cute >_<, its not often amphibians interact with their keepers so I found it incredibly cute.

So do you have a story too? please share with us :)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this somewhere once, but I was going to feed my T. grans and one of them got up on his back lets and waved his arms like ''look at me! Bring it here!" it was so cute and funny.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This year my C.pyrrhogaster are giving me lots of great moments. From mad males that look like they are on speed, to females sporting spermatophores attached to various and hilarious parts of their body.
I, however, had a very cute moment with my N.viridescens(or at least it´s cute for my twisted mind) last night when two of them who were shedding at exactly the same time and using one another as scrubbing material, ended up biting and eating each other´s skins in the confussion.

DeCypher

Reaction score
My N. Viridescens male was being fed via tweezers, and he accidentally swallowed some moss. After he gulped it down (along with the earthworm) he gave me the angriest look, as if he was stricken with disbelief that I would trick him into eating some moss!

Joost

Reaction score
Ah, yes, some salamanders and newts prefer vegetables. Here is a C. orientalis enjoy an egg salad. And yes, it was swallowed entirely.

Attachments

• egg salad.JPG
    egg salad.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,026

RobM

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere once, but I was going to feed my T. grans and one of them got up on his back lets and waved his arms like ''look at me! Bring it here!" it was so cute and funny.

Sorry Otterwoman!

Ah, yes, some salamanders and newts prefer vegetables. Here is a C. orientalis enjoy an egg salad. And yes, it was swallowed entirely.

It looks like the newt has a kind of small hippo like tooth in the pic! haha

Molch

Reaction score
a couple nights ago I came back from the next-door Xmas dinner and as staggered to bed (the newt tanks are in my bedroom), one of the fire bellies winked at me and said "bet ya wish ya didn't have that last glass, eh Mom?"

Yep, that was cute.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Reviewing this thread has given me such good laughs! I thank you for creating this thread, RobM!!!

RobM

Reaction score
Ok, so its a new year. The award for best story last year has to go to Molch, unless anyone wants to dispute that it actually happened? :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1