Cloudy Eye?

moinkable

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

The smaller of my chinese FBNs eyes seem to have clouded over. Not like a white, milky cloud...more like blue fog. It's both of the eyes, and he seems normal other than that. He's eating fine and when I'm looking at him in there and move my head back and forth he moves his head back and forth too, so I don't think he's blind. He's eating, and my water quality is normal, although i do have some driftwood that's leeching tannins (I do water changes often to keep it clear), and I've been noticing some cyclops proliferation in there lately. The other fbn is unaffected.

I'm inclined to think he's ok, but am a bit worried that it could be a sign of something worse to come?

Thanks wise caudata folks!

It sounds like your newt is simply preparing for shedding its skin. It´s perfectly normal, and you have nothing to worry about, it will disappear when he completes the shed.

Heather,

I looked at your thread before posting my own....the pictures of your newts eye don't look quite like Fenton's does.

Fenton has since shed at least once (that I saw anyways :) ) and his eyes are still cloudy...his tankmate Fig is still fine, big and fat and lazy as ever.

So, I guess since it's been a while I'm going to just assume that whatever he's got going on it's fine and not contagious, since he seems ok except the eye cloud and Fig's eyes are still clear.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back