Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts and emotions

DeCypher

Reaction score
Can newts feel emotions? Are they able to feel happiness, anger, fear or love?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it. They're a lot less complex than we humans. Their drivers are food, shelter, and mating. Beyond that, I don't suspect they feel any higher emotions.

RobM

Reaction score
Can newts feel emotions? Are they able to feel happiness, anger, fear or love?

I would say they have some sense of fear, which helps them know to hide and protect themselves from predators, but this could be disputed by claiming this is pure instinct.

The other emotions you describe I very much doubt. They may have feeling comparable with anger based on hormones, which may make them more aggressive etc at certain periods, but that may not necessarily be defined as anger.

It would be nice to assume they have happiness, in order to make us feel better about ourselves and the way we keep them, but in reality it is probably unlikely. However if they could experience happiness, how could we tell?

Love - I think there is no chance of that, like most animals their own survival is too important.

Its feasible that they do possess some kinds of emotion as emotions are a mixture between state of mind and biochemistry, however I don't know whether they would be comparable to our own. Its probably possible to prove that some kind of emotion exists if you have the right equipment, however it would be impossible to specifically say what an emotion is and how it feels to the newt, to me its simply non comparable to our own.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1