Pellet food options

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emily
Hello all! I'm wanting to give my axolotls (and Anderson's salamanders) more variety in their food. Normally the adults get Hikari Massivore Delite and the occassional frozen krill. The youngsters get live tubifex worms, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine and mysis shrimp and Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. I want to find more options that are easy to find in stores and that are easy to feed. I've read about getting salmon pellets or other moist pellets, but what exactly are they? Any suggestions would be great! And this is also for all size axolotls, I've been trying my hand at breeding them lately.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

Salmon pellets are simply food designed for salmon, however they are accepted by Axolotls. This is a very good pellet type for Axolotls. Generally, live food is much better than a processed food source...but the pellets have many nutrients and vitamins in them, so they are quite healthy. You may be able to get them from your local pet store or online.

earthworms / nightcrawlers are the best all round food for axolotls.

Is there a certain brand of salmon pellets I should look for? I just don't think I've ever seen them in stores. I buy bulk trout pellets for my cichlids, but they float so they're not an option.

Can adult axolotls eat a night crawler whole? Also, I'm concerned about live night crawlers burrowing into my substrate and the axolotls not getting to them.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

Rangen is the brand name of salmon pellets most commonly recommended here. I haven't yet used these. Worms can survive for a period of time under water and because of that i wouldn't be concerned about them burrowing into the substrate. if they begin to suffer from being underwater I think they will come out of the sand in search of air and the axies can eat them then. Or, you could cut them into pieces.

Rangen pellets can be purchased in 40 lb bags directly from the manufacturers. They can also be purchased from me, The AGSC, or a couple other suppliers. Zoomed newt pellets are very similar but come in a small container.

That's a good point about the worms, they probably wouldn't be happy buried in the substate and would be eaten upon coming out of it.

I'll have to look into the pellets, 40# seems like so much, however there are quite a few mouths to feed, and I'm sure my large assortment of cichlids wouldn't mind the pellets either. I have bought a pound of a moist "salamander" pellet before and they did enjoy it, but it went so quick and I haven't been able to find more.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

T
I'll have to look into the pellets, 40# seems like so much, however there are quite a few mouths to feed, and I'm sure my large assortment of cichlids wouldn't mind the pellets either. I have bought a pound of a moist "salamander" pellet before and they did enjoy it, but it went so quick and I haven't been able to find more.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

40 lb is the size the manufacturer sells. Other vendors sell smaller bags. The moist salamander pellets are identical or nearly identical to salmon pellets. When developing their food line I recommended to the ZooMed people they carry something similar to salmon pellets. I'm not certain but I think they went with the same thing as salmon pellets and rebranded it for their sales.

40 lb is the size the manufacturer sells. Other vendors sell smaller bags. The moist salamander pellets are identical or nearly identical to salmon pellets. When developing their food line I recommended to the ZooMed people they carry something similar to salmon pellets. I'm not certain but I think they went with the same thing as salmon pellets and rebranded it for their sales.

So is Rangen part of Zoomed? I can't access the Rangen website (I use my PS3 for internet) so I'll have to use a neighbor's computer to look into it more. How much does 40# cost?

~Emily~

Bumping up this post. Other than this brand does any one use some other sinking pellet? Do you buy locally or online? Where at?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back