Worm Farm, and Feeding Question

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jackie Blackwell
I want to set up a "worm farm" for my axies. It's winter time here, so there's not a whole lot of worms in my garden/yard right now that I can dig up. I can buy 1000 red wigglers online for about $30. I already know I'm going to get a big container for these wormies, and have been keeping a small worm house going so far. (About two weeks, lmao.)

However, I did have a question about feeding the axies. The red wigglers I'll be getting are going to be roughly 1-3 inches long. My axies are about -/+5 inches. About how many worms should they be getting a day? I do like to feed them daily, since they're still growing. They LOVE the earthworms in my backyard(they've also had nightcrawlers), and my dad keeps telling me that they're red wigglers. I hope this is the case, or I'll be stuck with 1000+ red wigglers nobody wants to eat. -_-; lol

The worms in your back yard are probably not red wigglers. The red wigglers are a surface-dwelling worm, which is why they are good for composting. And they are red, as the name suggests.

Most axies can adjust to taking the red wigglers. However, it's possible they will reject them the first time they try them because they have a bit of a strange smell (and presumably taste). Start them with just one or two worms per feeding. If they reject them at first, let the axies stay hungry and try again the next day.

I have three different "types" of worms in my box. One is a lighter, brown-and-pink color, another is a deep reddish color, and the last are nightcrawlers. (Huge... slimy... nasty nighcrawlers, lol.)

I have some pics of the pinkish-ones and the reddish-ones. Are the ones on the bottom red wigglers? I usually scoop them up from the soil that covers my carport/driveway.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/AuraCantos/P1060101.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/AuraCantos/P1060100.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/AuraCantos/P1060099.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back