What is the right newt for me?

Mimixbella

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! So i have been trying to figure out what kind of newt is right for me, i search and search but i seem not to find that much about them(THats why i joined the forums xD) I want a newt that 1. Is friendly with other newts and frogs, 2. that can live in water and soil, 3. that it isnt so so vicious and that it has a lil of a personality. Idk a lot about newts so also can u guys put a lil about any newt that you guys address.

Ty :rofl:

The list goes on and on, but some good choices could include california newts, japanses fire bellied newts, and eastern newts are just a few, not to mention there subspecies. Most species of newts, as opposed to salamanders, are good candidates because they live in both land and water, although certain individuals may prefer one or the other. When it comes to which ones will coexist with other newts and frogs, will depend on the other specie of newt or frog because some species can't handle the other's toxins. Try to choose species from similar geographical regions, although I have had a califoornia newt and a japenese newt coexist together with a lepard frog. Just look through some of the forums pertaining to this topic and see what others say.

Mixing newts and frogs is a bad idea, no matter which species you mix.

I would forget about the semi-aquatic setup and go for a fully aquatic tank. That way you could get some Pleurodeles waltl. They get large, easy to take care, easily bred, quite personable, and most on the market are captive bred. This is probably the most bullet proof newt there is.

I think one of your initial questions should be: what temperatures can I provide for the animals? If you haven't got a cooler room in your house or basement then your choice will be limited.
Semi-aquatic set-ups look beautiful but you will find out that they are a/ difficult to construct b/ usually end up having too little water to provide good conditions.
This is probably not 100% true but from my experience aquatic animals are a lot more fun - you can almost always see them swimming around and they're a lot less shy.
Have a look Cynops pyrrhogaster - I think it could be a good newt for you.
Whichever species you end up getting, don't mix the newts with any other animals (some snails or shrimp might be ok but that's about it).
Have a look at http://www.caudata.org/cc/index.shtml and read as much as you can so that you make an informed decision.

Just to reiterate, forget about mixing different species of caudate, or caudates with frogs.
There is a variety a of species that are suitable for beginners and easily available captive bred. I agree with Justin, that P.waltl is probably the ideal species for you, though. Although they are lacking in the beauty department (mind you, they grow on you) they are very personable and entertaining.
Before you even consider acquiring any animals, make sure to read as much as you possibly can and have everything ready beforehand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back