Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Food for axies

Imy

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I still don't have an axolotl yet because i want to make sure i have all the plans ready instead of just going out and getting one and not having a clue on how to properly care for them.

I'm new to the axolotl and was just wondering if you can feed them maggots as a source of live food? If earth worms are hard to come-by. Its been very cold weather hear lately so cant exactly go out and try picking up a few to farm. haha.

Thanks for the help.
Much appriciated.

Imy:animal::animal:

AuraCantos

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they're okay to use as axie food sparingly, but I definitely know that I would never, ever feed my own axies maggots. Maggots are only found in meat-bearing composts, and if I'm not mistaken, can carry loads of bacteria that you wouldn't want near your axies. (I could be wrong, though...) Mammalian meat is also very calorie-dense, and axies shouldn't be eating calorie-dense foods. (Hence why you don't feed them beefheart/beefstrips, ect)

If you can't find a bait shop, petstore, or gardening center near you to pick up some earthworms, I'd recommend getting some sinking trout/salmon pellets until you can. These are a better substitute than maggots. You can also try ordering compost worms online and making yourself a cheap, easy wormbin out of a small tupperware container. In the US we have a site called unclejimswormfarm that sells red wigglers for a decent price.

I say skip the creepy crawly maggots until you can find either pellets or worms. :D

Imy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they're okay to use as axie food sparingly, but I definitely know that I would never, ever feed my own axies maggots. Maggots are only found in meat-bearing composts, and if I'm not mistaken, can carry loads of bacteria that you wouldn't want near your axies. (I could be wrong, though...) Mammalian meat is also very calorie-dense, and axies shouldn't be eating calorie-dense foods. (Hence why you don't feed them beefheart/beefstrips, ect)

If you can't find a bait shop, petstore, or gardening center near you to pick up some earthworms, I'd recommend getting some sinking trout/salmon pellets until you can. These are a better substitute than maggots. You can also try ordering compost worms online and making yourself a cheap, easy wormbin out of a small tupperware container. In the US we have a site called unclejimswormfarm that sells red wigglers for a decent price.

I say skip the creepy crawly maggots until you can find either pellets or worms. :D

Great. Thanks for the information. I just wanted to make sure before I started trying to decided on a diet for the little critter. haha.
I am trying to sort and plan everything in advance before taking the next step and actually purchasing the axolotl.

So far I have the tank cycling, the transportation figured out and the new decorations which I will use to make the axie as comfortable as possible.

Can i also ask you, and maybe a new thread is in order but, would a Fluval U2 be a good quality filter for him/her as the flow rate can be adjust with two valves? air intake and water current.

Thanks again.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
I disagree. I think maggots have great potential as food for axolotls. They are, after all, just insect larvae. The presence of bacteria would be consistent throughout the range of soil based feeder species. You didn't say what type of maggots you might have access to. I'm sure there are different types.

I rely heavily on worms but I have fed my axies lots of different types of foods. This includes a number of different types of fish foods. Fish pellets are difficult because most don't sink so you have to choose ones that do. Also, frozen fish foods are good. There is a type of shrimp that is fairly large - Mysis Shrimp - that, while messy, are excellent food after they've been thawed and properly rinsed.

Don't forget to check bait shops for worms. Here in the U.S. worms are available year round.

I currently use external filters, I used a filter similar to the Fluval with my Clawed Frogs and it seemed to work fine.

Last edited:

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the information. I just wanted to make sure before I started trying to decided on a diet for the little critter. haha.
I am trying to sort and plan everything in advance before taking the next step and actually purchasing the axolotl.

So far I have the tank cycling, the transportation figured out and the new decorations which I will use to make the axie as comfortable as possible.

Can i also ask you, and maybe a new thread is in order but, would a Fluval U2 be a good quality filter for him/her as the flow rate can be adjust with two valves? air intake and water current.

Thanks again.

It's always good to have everything ready first. I did the same thing, had my tank up and running, filter cycled, sand in place, hides all prepared. It's easier on the axies to come home to a cold, clean, ready environment than to be trying to get everything together all around them. :p Makes em less stressed.

Be sure to take us lots and lots of pics. ;)

Imy

Reaction score
It's always good to have everything ready first. I did the same thing, had my tank up and running, filter cycled, sand in place, hides all prepared. It's easier on the axies to come home to a cold, clean, ready environment than to be trying to get everything together all around them. :p Makes em less stressed.

Be sure to take us lots and lots of pics. ;)

Will take loads of pics definitly. At the moment though I am only cycling a 80ltr or 21 US gallon tank cycling and feel this is big enough for him/her until I get the cash to buy a bigger one.

I disagree. I think maggots have great potential as food for axolotls. They are, after all, just insect larvae. The presence of bacteria would be consistent throughout the range of soil based feeder species. You didn't say what type of maggots you might have access to. I'm sure there are different types.

I rely heavily on worms but I have fed my axies lots of different types of foods. This includes a number of different types of fish foods. Fish pellets are difficult because most don't sink so you have to choose ones that do. Also, frozen fish foods are good. There is a type of shrimp that is fairly large - Mysis Shrimp - that, while messy, are excellent food after they've been thawed and properly rinsed.

Don't forget to check bait shops for worms. Here in the U.S. worms are available year round.

I currently use external filters, I used a filter similar to the Fluval with my Clawed Frogs and it seemed to work fine.

I am not to sure what kind of maggots they are but I will find out. My uncle runs one and i honestly never thought of asking him. Typical me. Do everything the hard way. haha.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Really handy.

Merry Christmas.

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Maggots would be great food, I agree! Highly nutritious, probably low in fat and the calorie issue is of little concern as the maggot would process the food and store the energy in different ways! Think of a bass or other large fish, it wouldn't eat a cow but would happily prey on many things that would...

Imy

Reaction score
Maggots would be great food, I agree! Highly nutritious, probably low in fat and the calorie issue is of little concern as the maggot would process the food and store the energy in different ways! Think of a bass or other large fish, it wouldn't eat a cow but would happily prey on many things that would...

Cool thanks for the information. I suppose I could give them a try anyway.

Would there be anything I would need to do to prepare them before feeding them (ie crush their heads etc.)???

dragonlady

Reaction score
Here is a table with nutritional values of many commonly used foods-Food Values

Of course, keep in mind that as previously stated, earthworms/nightcrawlers are the most highly recommended. Personally, I would use maggots as a supplement or a treat, not as a staple.

Also, in regards to mammal flesh, this is very difficult for axolotls to digest. Their system is not nearly as complex as ours so that should be an occasional treat as well.

In the table, you will see shrimp and such listed, this is referring to freshwater shrimp, saltwater varieties would not be recommended.

Hope the table helps clarify some things. We all look forward to pictures! :D

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
I usually feed mine pellets for koi fish but I mix it up every now and again with earthworms and meal worms, that's pretty much all I can get around here!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1