Hello, lifelong enthusiast returning to my roots!

SLC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, as I stated above I'm a life long herptile enthusiast, having been "in the business" years ago, and in more or less chronological order I have been all of the following, (at least as relates to herpetology); kid with a frog in his pocket, retail and wholesale pet industry employee/store owner, commercial collector, (with a state issued permit to prove it), importer, reptile breeder, assistant zoo herpetologist, etc. Unfortunately, life being what it is, I had to give it all up due to various reasons and completely change the direction of my life, (economics for one, and ultimately the need to provide for a coming child; other reasons I won't go into here).

Recently I took my now nearly grown daughter to a prominent zoo, and naturally we went to the reptile house. Once there, I "bumped into" the herpetologist, (on purpose of course), dropped a couple of names and we found ourselves "back stage" in the reptile house drinking sodas and talking about old aquaintances and the amazing animals surrounding us. Meanwhile my 17 yr old daughter was off flirting with one of the cuter keepers, came back with a boa in her arms and immediately asked if she could "pleeeese" have a pet snake. I agreed of course, and recently got her a small captive raised ball python, (P. regius; nice mellow snakes that stay relatively small).

The crux of the story is that the the whole episode renewed my passion for the squirmy and scaly side of nature, so basically that's it.....here I am! When I "got out of it" I did so completely, and haven't had any animals in my life since the late 80's-early 90's. There were no internet forums at that time, (Al Gore hadn't "invented it yet"), most of the "exotic" trade was via classifieds, and the number of captive raised animals was small with the occasional wild-caught albino being a novelty, (Axy's being an exception, but captive breeding of amphibs was in it's infancy; the very first use of hormones for breeding of amphibians had just recently been successful; the floodgates were opening!). In the meantime, humans being what they are, have succumbed to their irresistible urge to "domesticate" animals which has resulted in a dizzying array of genetic varieties being produced in captivity; it's actually difficult to find a "normal". I am literally in shock at the shear variety of the morphs out there; it's truly amazing what genetics and the internet has done for this hobby/career/obsession/business/mania.

I intend to monitor this forum, re-learn some of what I've forgotten in 20+ tears away, tell a story or two, (I had lots of adventures in herpetology in my younger days), and get to know some of you. What animals I decide to bring into my very small living space is yet to be determined, but that's one thing I want from this forum; just to know what's out there nowadays! I look forward to my re-education!

SLC

Wonderful story :)
Welcome back to the world of herps and of course welcome to the forum!

Wonderful story :)
Welcome back to the world of herps and of course welcome to the forum!
Thanks Rob, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

SLC

Welcome back :)
You´ll be surprised when you see the amount of species that are perfectly common and widespread nowadays...things that a few years back were merely a dream.
Not all has been good for the hobby (or at least some sectors of it), though, but that´s another matter xD

Welcome back :)
You´ll be surprised when you see the amount of species that are perfectly common and widespread nowadays...things that a few years back were merely a dream.
Not all has been good for the hobby (or at least some sectors of it), though, but that´s another matter xD

Thank you, I also noticed that more common species of a few years ago are somewhat scarce today, and because they aren't being captive bred there aren't many around; for example I don't see many mata mata turtles out there, they used to be very common in the trade. Leopard frogs, and baby red eared sliders used to be the most common herps out there, but no more. Some varieties of chameleons are more common than before, some less. I have a lot of catching up to do.

You have a great holiday!

SLC

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back