Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axies seem to be fighting frequently - is there a better way to set up my tank?

superhumannick

Reaction score
I have three golden axolotls and one albino in one side of my tank, because they are smaller. I have two wild type in the other side of my tank because they are bigger. The total size of the tank is 55 gallons. There is a dividing wall in between them. I have a few hiding places on each side, but they are still frequently nibbling at each other. All of the smaller axies do not have any hands or feet. Do they need more hiding spots or just a bigger tank? Or is there something else I'm not thinking of? Let me know if anyone has some tips.

Thanks,
Nick

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If at all possible give them a larger tank and more hiding places. Also, increase their feedings and see if that cuts down on the nibbling.

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Hi, do you mean the little ones are nibbling or both? The little ones might need more space, perhaps move two to a smaller tank? Or give them many more hides and increase feeding, as said earlier... Good luck!

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1