Is it possible for the axo's to not breed?

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I raise a male and a female who are in the same tank but they are departed by a sealed plexiglass partition. I always wished I could let them live together instead of being split but I don't think I would have the time to breed, atleast not now. Plus, I don't like the concept of the female weakening from overbreeding. Unlike dogs I don't think I can neuter them (unless someone does know how!) has anyone notice how to reduce breeding?

Kudos to all you wonderful people who breed your axo's!

I never heared of desexing an axie.:D And I think, that doesn´t make any sense, because axies can regenerate all.;)

All my axies are living in mixed gender tanks and the females will lay eggs maybe 2-3 times a year. If you won´t raise the babies, you may leave the eggs in the parents tank. The parents will eat the eggs or lately the hatching larvae.

To lay eggs is stressful, but as long as the females don´t lay eggs too often (every 4-6 weeks, f.e.) it´s not harmful.

Tina

Lol good point on the healing part, I didn't even remember that at the moment I wrote the post. I think I will keep them separated then, I think it would be me feel more awful if I let them breed but then have them eat their eggs. Just doesn't sound right to me. Thanks for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back