Potential live foods for a Pachytriton?

Sallermander

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently feed him red wigglers and trout worms... But! Variety is important, I believe he is a labiatus and I would prefer not to give frozen food (I tried blood worms, horrible mess, never again) If I try frozen foods again, anyone know where to just get little empty jars so the leftovers aren't stuck in his sand?

But anyway... CC says they will pretty much each anything (I put in clean up shrimps, ghost shrimp and I'm not sure if I lost them in the water change or if he picked them off one by one) so I'm not sure what else to feed him! (I can seriously never find live waxworms, everywhere I go that sells them they are dead to the point some are turning black) I believe one store near my favorite fishing lake sells black worms, should I try? Are they too small?

My Pachytritons loved live black worms so I would give these a try. To be safe, though, I would not offer the worms immediately after purchase but instead keep them for a few days to make sure they are "healthy." If you have large amounts die off then I would not feed them as they may make your animal sick as well.
I also fed mine chopped up earthworms purchased from the bait dept of local stores - it can be messy but earthworms are such a great caudate food source. I am not familiar with trout worms so maybe these are the same thing. I am sure you will find something your newt will eat with a gusto!
Heather

I have tried blood worms (Though my nearby pet store was selling as blackworms) and my newt gobbled them up without hesitation. I was also looking on aquabids live food, are confused flour beetles something to consider atleast for an occasional snack? What about scuds?

Last edited:
Flour bettles would not work, they are too small and would just float around.

My paddletails live on a diet of minnows, de-clawed crayfish, scuds, aquatic isopods, worms, ghost shrimp, blackworms, and tadpoles.

Flour bettles would not work, they are too small and would just float around.

My paddletails live on a diet of minnows, de-clawed crayfish, scuds, aquatic isopods, worms, ghost shrimp, blackworms, and tadpoles.

Aww... Poor crayfish... I used to have one. What species? I'd have to guess young ones?

... I'll try scuds =] If he doesn't eat scuds, would they pester him? Would they eat my plants? Cause any troubles?

Any ideas where I can get FW isopods?

Why do I only find edit buttons on fresh posts? I don't likey...

Anyway... I tried to feed him minnows... The duo disappeared over night, so I guess he likes them? I thought they were too fast... Maybe the powerhead tired them down?

Last edited:
So a couple weeks passed, I notice my pachytriton accepts red rosies and bloodworms actually more readily then the night crawlers and red wigglers I offer, Is it possible to make bloodworms a staple with a treat of fathead minnowss? Could that cause nutrition problems?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back