Question: When do i make the switch?

twistedfisher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Steffen
Ok so im not new to fish or inverts but to axies im a total rookie.

I have a bunch of larvae that i got from a few members here and wonder when i should switch them from BBS to daphnia?

The albino eggs i got from Eric hatched a few weeks ago and are about an inch or so long now and are active.

The wild type i got just hatched a few days ago and a few are yet to come free from the goo as of yet.

The big question i got is when do i make the change over to daphnia?

I currently have a couple thousand daphnia if i got a single one since all 4 of my cultures are going through a pulse at the same time.

By my experience..
If it can fit in their mouth they can eat it!
they might not be so keen at first, as it took my guys a while to realise it was a new food i was giving them but once they started eating them there was no going back. I preferred the daph as it swims around happily with the lotls. I would goto bed with daph swimming in their tubs but never found any left in the morning :happy:

I start feeding my eggs daphnia from the start. I usually start a culture of Daphnia pulex (sometimes magna if I can't get ahold of pulex) a couple weeks before the eggs are due to hatch. Then I pull a few pregnant females out and put them in the larvae tubs when the eggs start to hatch. Then new-born daphnia are available right around day 3, when the larvae start to eat.

I much prefer Daphnia over BBS because they're fairly maintenance free. They don't take a lot to keep a culture going, where you can't culture BBS and have to continuously hatch them. And they live just fine in the fresh water with the larvae, where BBS die within a few hours and have to be cleaned out.

yeah i have 4 daphnia cultures going constantly for the fish room and BBS are on 12 hour cycles of hatching for angel fish fry so i have more then enough of both on hand all the time around here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back