Question: WOW!! emm what now..

wemily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So now I have eggs :eek:... Archie (mum) has laid some eggs this morning. Archie is albino and pebble (dad) is Grey with black spots. The eggs seem to be mostly black although some seem pale.

We didn't expect babies just yet as Pebble is several months younger than Archie so haven't given it much thought..

do the eggs look ok? should we remove them? well they be eaten?

ANY advice welcome.. thank you!!

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 221
  • -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 235
oh wow! shes laying more now!!! must be well over 200 eggs now... Shes a big girl normally but amazing they all fit inside her!

If you want to try raising or selling some, remove them. Otherwise leave them in the tank and the axolotl will eat them.;)

Awww, I love it when they lay eggs, such a neat experience. It's so funny how she just went and laid them on the handles of the bridge, good picture. In my experience, all the embryos start out black and then after a few weeks of birth they turn colors (I'm sure not all of the babies will be grey, some will go to albino).

I've always taken out the eggs when mine have laid eggs, but I had full intention to grow up the babies. If you don't want to deal with that, just leave them in the tank, and like previously said, they'll get eaten. You may want to pull a few out just to try to raise them, it is SO COOL to watch the development from embryo to adult axolotl.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

Haha, that bridge picture is fantastic. Funny little things.

Congrats, some day I hope I get to bear witness to this process, must be awesome to see them develop. If you keep them, do share more photos!

Wow congrats! Mine laid a couple of days ago and Tallulah is still huge!- I removed them. I know I can't raise them all but I want to see if they all develop ok before selecting 10 or so to keep.

Its a few days on, so thought id share a quick egg update. around half seem to have hatched, the others are still developing. here's a new picture of some babies :) They all look like wild type's so far.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-08 at 15.50.44.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-08 at 15.50.44.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 238
Oh my goodness that is adorable! I love seeing pictures of their growth.

:( over the last 2 days most of our babies have died.. i'm not sure why.. they seemed to get a bit pale first. We have moved the remaining ones to a new container in the hope they will be ok...

So far they have been eating small daphina, - our pet shop has ordered us some small brine shrimp that we can pick up 2day..

This is our first batch of eggs, has any1 got any idea what went wrong??

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Often with first born eggs, a LOT die for no reason even if you did your best for them... sorry I can't help :(

Hiya all,

just thought id let u know that we have 5 remaining :) i think they r growing alright. they all dart around after baby brine shrimp :) soo cute!

I had a good look this weekend and they seem to be beginning to get little feathery splits on their gills.

Do u think we have 4 Leucistic? and 1 wild? - 1 is a lot darker than the others (seems to have a slight stripy pattern across his body.. :) )

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 22.32.48.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 22.32.48.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 22.32.34.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 22.32.34.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 171
It is possible that you have 4 white and 1 dark. Nice, i wish I had some white ones or golden ones. I always have dark ones.

Awh they are so cute! Do you plan to keep all 5? I'm worried if mine ever have babies I wouldn't want to let any go!

well done on the eggs :D:happy:
if you have room it may be a good idea to remove the female if you havn't all ready so she can recover;)

We don't really have room to keep them :( i would like too keep 1, the darkest as it has a lovely pattern already! We told the fish/reptile last week and she is happy to take them. i guess they will find a nice home.. assuming they all live that long. they have lots of growing to do yet!!

TY, they where a real shock, still getting used to a thin Archie lol!! we haven't separated them but I think she is well at the moment. They get very fussy with the divider.. so unless she seems unhappy i'l just let her be. she's a lot bigger then her man n defiantly the boss! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back