Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Raising Eggs

ax

Reaction score
Hi,
I was thinking about raising my own axie from birth - there are quite a few eggs for sale local to me but if I was going to how many should I buy?
I wouldn't want more than two axies at most so just 1 or 2 eggs??
I wouldn't want to have the euthanise any but I don't want the only eggs I have to die... what do you think?
Thanks
Joe

carsona246

Reaction score
i was going to hatch one egg and raise it from a larvae, but the availability here isn't as great as it is in england, so I decided I wouldn't risk it and just bought an already hatched one so i wouldn't have to worry about them dying. Everyone else told me to get like 5-6 if I was going to raise one egg, but if you have a few eggs available and only want one or two, I'd shoot for getting one or two eggs and if one doesn't make it you could always try with another batch of eggs, or get a hatched one.

Yaimfat

Reaction score
Hi, this is a great idea and I can imagine it being fun, bar the fact that axolotls have reasonably difficult larvae to raise. I would, if you want to do this, get around 10 eggs, see how they go and sell or give away the unwanted juveniles if they make it. They will only eat tiny foods for some time and this can be a problem for some.

ax

Reaction score
What is the average survival rate of anyones on here who has hatched?
Like I said, I wouldn't want loads of axies not knowing what to do with them, and neither would my parents :p
I'm thinking of trying to get about 6 like you said, and hopefully 3 will survive? I really have no idea about survival rates with axies but i'm guessing the odds can be great if they lay 100's of eggs at a time right?
Thanks!
Joe

melfly

Reaction score
It all depends to be honest.
Some batches (mainly 1st time layers) tend to have a bad sucess rate.

I've had a lot of different rates from 0% to about 98%

And it also depends how prepared you are as well, and that you have enough food and good water for them.

Mel

ax

Reaction score
Thanks Mel, I ordered 10 eggs - any extras if I manage to raise them ok I will sell or give to a local college.
Can't wait :D

melfly

Reaction score
Good Luck.

If you have any questions just ask.

Cant wait to hear how they go on!!

Mel

bayhicoach

Reaction score
If you follow the professional advice axolotls are actually quite easy to raise and the percentage of living axis from eggs should be quite high. Add to that, most shippers send a few extra. For me, this meant I had more than twice the number of animals I was expecting. The flip side of that is that I now have 13 axies nearing adulthood. There are 6 different color morphs in this group from two different breeders. As they become sexable I will choose the ones I want to keep and find homes for the others. In the meantime - MAN can these guys eat!!!

ax

Reaction score
If you follow the professional advice axolotls are actually quite easy to raise and the percentage of living axis from eggs should be quite high. Add to that, most shippers send a few extra. For me, this meant I had more than twice the number of animals I was expecting. The flip side of that is that I now have 13 axies nearing adulthood. There are 6 different color morphs in this group from two different breeders. As they become sexable I will choose the ones I want to keep and find homes for the others. In the meantime - MAN can these guys eat!!!

Haha, yeah it's a bonus but a downside at the same time. How long do you have to keep them before they are able to be transported - around 6-8 months, longer or not? Just trying to be realistic about keeping them - how many tanks do you have for all 13 !?! :eek:

bayhicoach

Reaction score
You can move the animals whenever you want if you attend to their needs at that given moment. I have dispersed several to other owners already. The reason I still have so many is because I want to be able to pick animals for specific traits and gender. They are just now becoming reliably sexable. I keep my animals in my classroom and have access to lots of tanks. My breeders will be housed in pairs in one 55 and two 29 gallon tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1