Question: What do two or more axolotls do?

bunny27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! I can't seem to find answers for my question, but if I've missed a thread with a similar question, please direct me to it. :) .

I'm curious, what do two or more axolotls do in the same tank? Do they just hang out by themselves or do they interact/play? What do they do with each other and what should I expect to see with 2 or more axies?

Are they even aware of another axolotl in the tank or do they just regard it as a fish or something? I've seen some videos where they nip each other, is this just normal for two axies to do? Also, my little one (5ish inches) he likes to bite my fingers and at the thermometer and filter more than my bigger axie (9ish inches) does. Do you guys think he'll grow up to be an aggressive bully or is this just a phase for the young? (they're both boys btw :D.)

My little one is growing fast and I hope to put him in a tank with my larger axie when he's the right size, so I'm just curious what do two or more axolotls like to do or how do they interact or what to expect with more than one axie...

Random question: How do you guys introduce a new axie into the tank? Do you just transfer him in the tank or is there a method to this?

And yeah, they will be in a 40 gallon tank with lots of hides and be fed at separate sides of the tank :D. I only plan to have two axies.

If you guys have videos of your little ones, please put them up too and pictures too!

Thanks!

Often they make little axolotls. :grin:

It depends on the personality of your axolotls, really. Some seem to really buddy up, while others have little regard for the others. You have to be sure they're of similar size, or the big one will often mistake the little one for a snack. Occasionally they'll fight, or mistake each other's leg/tail for food, but this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If you want to, you can try putting the new one in a breeder basket (in a pinch, a clean colander works too!), and allow the old one to swim around and investigate. When he/she's lost interest, then put the new one in and keep an eye on them to make sure they get along fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back