National Aquarium in Washington, DC

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I am vacationing right now in Washington DC, and we decided to go to the National Aquarium. It is the first aquarium established. As I walked around, I found a little section with caudates (JACKPOT!!!!). They had Taricha Torosa, Notophthalmus Viridescens, Ambystoma Tigrinum, a Hellbender, and multiple Anurans. I am surprised at how well they take care of their Caudates. The only problem is the tank sizes. I took particular interest in the N. Viridescens (what I keep). There were about 5-6 in a 10-gallon tank. Other than that, they do very well. I talked to the herpetologist there about the N. Viridescens. They feed them gnats and pinhead crickets, along with occasional earthworms and blackworms. Gravel as substrate, lots of driftwood and Java moss. Fake (though very real-looking) duckweed and ferns. Very fat, LARGE happy newts. Their Taricha Torosa was nearly 8 inches long!!! Their N. Viridescens were almost 6 inches long! How their Caudates got so huge is still a mystery to me. I asked them about their unrealistic size, and from what I understand, they don't do anything special. I soon hope to make my Caudates as huge as theirs are, just not as overweight!
About the Aqaurium---It is very cool. TONS of freshwater/saltwater life. They have crocodiles, snakes, Caudates, other amphibians, and tons of interesting fish. It's in Washington DC, and I certainly recommend that you guys check it out. I learned a lot about oceans and reptiles and much more. Check it out!:D

Today I went to the National Zoological Park, also in Washington DC. They had Tylotriton Shanjing, Siren Lacertina, and the Japanese Giant Salamander. Also very nice, they take surprisingly great care of their caudates as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back