Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The bottom is good too!

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Hey all, it's been a while since I've browsed the forum, and unfortunately, the first thing I'm back with is a question...

I have a pair of grown (6+ inches) T.verrucosus that have been living semi-aquatically for a while now. Recently, I moved them into a larger, fully aquatic tank. Both are "bright-eyed" and healthy and have a good appetite (currently they are being fed worm chunks).

The issue is, while both will enter the water and swim around, they only swim/float at the water's surface. Neither of them can/have figured out that they can walk or swim around the bottom of the tank. This doesn't seem like normal behavior to me. Could it be them still adjusting to an aquatic lifestyle? There are plenty of places to haul out in the tank, so they can be on land when they want to be.

Thanks in advance!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are they struggling to get under the water, or just don't choose to?

I'd say when ones in the water, just poke it gently and see if it sinks, and how it reacts. Then you can fish it out if it freaks out.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Are they struggling to get under the water, or just don't choose to?

I can't really tell. I don't see them actively trying to sink to the bottom, they just float at the surface or swim around at the top. When they're done they get back onto one of the islands.

I'll give that idea a shot too. Thanks for the advice, Kaysie!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Mine do this same exact behaviour and have for as long as I can remember. Every once in awhile I'll catch them on the bottom but it is very rarely.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can bouch for the poking technique...it´s not pretty but it´s effective xD
I have no personal experience with T.verrucosus but i find that with other species, having LOTS of plants in the water column from surface to bottom greatly encourages the animals to utilize all areas.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what substrate, if any are you using?

There's a thin layer of sand over the bottom, simply because I'm not a fan of the "bare-bottom" look.

Thanks also for the other advice, guys. Perhaps it's just normal behavior, and it's the whole species that's weird. XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!