4 hatched out! So amazing!

scouter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do I need to seperate the 4 that have hatched out into a different container so I can start feeding or should I wait until more hatch or should I just put the bbs in with the whole gang? Also, I have been reading that the bbs foul the water so how long do folks suggest I allow them to hang around in tank waiting to be eaten before I pipette them out? Do you rinse the bbs with freshwater prior to placing in tank with newbies?

This forum has been an amazing education experience for me.. .. thank you all who kindly reply! I can't believe I set up a brine shrimp hatchery after watching a tutorial on youtube...:rolleyes:

Well first off congrats on the babies!

This is my first time hatching eggs as well since my females were actually females and MALE :)
And yes, I too have a coke bottle BBS hatchery too

Ok, so here is my first timer advice which has been working great so far (knock on wood) and all my babies are doing great!

I think your should leave the hatchlings in there with the eggs until most have hatched out (I had to take 2 out of the egg myself) Then clean out all of the remaining goop and eggs.

Now with the BBS you definitley want to rinse them because you don't want any salt in with your axies. I bought a brine shrimp net at my petstore but they fell right through so I used my stockings instead and that worked great.

I do two 100% water changes a day. I feed them very early in the am and when I get home from work I chage out the water. Then I feed them again and change the water right before I go to sleep. I also have some java fern in there so they can hide if they want.

Oh yea, and if you are like me and paranoid that they aren't eating just wait for their bellies to turn pink and your mind will be at ease.

I hope this helps and if anyone would like to comment and improve things that I'm doing please do so!

Thank you so much! I tried straining the bbs with a coffee filter as I rinsed them and then i couldn't get them off the coffee filter... I will try the nylon trick. I have 26 so far hatched out and probably 6 more recently hatched but still with sibling slow pokes still in the jelly. I have had elodea in both tanks for oxygen and cover. I have been doing water changes each day but now with the bbs I will definately be more vigilant.

thanks again!:happy:

well i have a different approach on the BBS feeding

I simply put a few drops of highly concentrated BBS in to the container with out rinsing. Now i know i know everyone is gonna jump on me about this and i also know that amph's should not have salt in their water.

This is just what is working for me. I do 100% water changes every day and also keep in mind im a low salt BBS hatcher. I only use 1/4 teaspoon for a 2 liter hatchery but 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with it.

I have some that are on daphnia and cant wait till they are all. That makes it alot easier to feed them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back