Swelling axolotl...Big stomach!

freyakuu

Reaction score
Country
Finland
My boy Leroy has swelling on his stomach, it´s been month.... What should I do? His gills are really small(smaller than before) can it be that he like to suck air and thats why swelling? Leroy eat really well but I don´t give too much that it doesn´t get worst.
I can take a picture later if that´s help! Once I scared that it´s gonna metamorphed because it like to get his head at the surface :grin:

A picture would be really helpful.

Have you tested your water parameters? What time of substrate are you using?

Hey,

I picture would be helpful indeed.
How old is your axolotl ? If he's an adult already he will not metamorphose anymore. Actually, to my experience, spontaneous metamorphosis is rather rare.
It would also be useful to know what your axie does : float ? On back of on belly ? upside down, horizontal ?
As asked already, what substrate do you use ? If it's little stones he might have swallowed one and cannot poop it out (the mouth can take it stuff that the bottom cannot get out again... - it happens...)

Barbara

Yeah it´s adult, and substrate is small rocks( you can see on picture) , no I haven´t tested water either. He´s not floating(only then when I give food) he is right way and swimming normal as he can ^^' If there is some kind of blog , is there anything what will help it to get out smooth??

here´s picture:

leroy.jpg

wow, that is one swollen axie you have there.

In my opinion, it could be a impaction, I don't like the look of that gravel, it looks to be like its just that little bit too big to be safe.

I personally keep my axolotl in a bare bottom tank.

wait for the opinion of other forum users first before you make your next moove.

Try putting Leroy in the fridge for a few days and see if he poops. Put him in a bare-bottom tub. Then you'll be able to see if he poops out any gravel.

Really, it looks like it may be bloat. This needs to be treated by a veterinarian.

Hey,

What is the granulometry of your substrate ? I can't say if this is sand or gravels.

- If it's gravels, it could explain the huge belly. IN that case, you need to keep him in a box with no substrate, as already said, make one total water change each day and take the pooped gravels away.

- If it's sand, there shouldn't be any problem due to that. I keep my axies and sonis on sand and I have never encountered any problem. Sand is my choice because the substrate in their natural environment is actually sand and mud. So that should not give them any problems.

Question : can you carefully pick up your axie and touch his belly (do not take him out of the water doing that). How does it feel ? Hard or soft ?
Then, since you have him in your hands, put him into the box without substrate that you prepared before you picked him up.

Now, let us know more about the diet of this little guy.
You said he keeps eating, right ?
For me an axolotl that eats doesn't go to the vet just yet.

Hi,

in my opinion your axie is overfeed and full of eggs. It doesn´t look like an illness to me.
Could you provide a photo from above, please?
What do you feed him and how often?
Adult axies don´t need a daily feeding - 2 times a week is enough.

Tina

I´m not sure about substrate but i think it´s sand....I touch it and it feels stretchy like balloon. Now I put both in a different tank(where is no substrate) and I´m gonna clean their whole tank and temporary tank water is cold. I give him once a week one cricket or else, I´m afraid to give too much, what do you think how much I can give food?
Today I give a cricket and he ate it.

callina: It´s hard to be a full of eggs because it´s male and I don´t overfeed it^^'

callina: It´s hard to be a full of eggs because it´s male and I don´t overfeed it^^'

oh, I´m astonished! It looks definately like a female to me.:eek:
Who determined the gender?

Crickets are not the best diet for axies and not even alone. Try to feed more variety. Earthworms are much better and nutritous. For an adult axie 1-2 feedings a week are ok.
Take a look here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Tina

Last edited by a moderator:
I´m so confuse O_O mu axie looks still same but it still alive! He´s been two time fridge and get poops there so there isn´t stuck on stomack,on tank there isn´t substrate....now he has been with Musa and that damn woman ate his one leg!!! now I have tried to keep Musa well eated that she leave him alone.... New ideas?

How much do you feed Leroy?

not much, 1-2 cricket per week maybe, sometimes bloodworms but now shop didn´t sell them....I´m not sure is it ok to give more food... I scare that it gonna explode^^'

It might be what you're feeding. Have you thought about switching to earthworms? Crickets have a tough exoskeleton that Leroy might be having trouble digesting and then expelling.

not anymore because summer is coming, I have to try someday those earthworms,I feed them every summer...I have thinking to breed them too because here is long winter and then you don´t get them....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back