Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl types---What to choose?!?!

DeCypher

Reaction score
I have been debating forever on what type I am going to get for my first Axolotl. It's driving me crazy!! First I wanted a wild type, but then I decided they look too tacky. Then I decided I wanted a melanoid, but it was too plain. And now I've decided on a Leucistic Axolotl, but there is one problem-I noticed that some pigment may show up on the back and head, and I don't want that. What's the best one to get?!! Am I being too picky???

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m sorry...tacky?
The natural coloration of a species is tacky? I´m shocked O_O I find that to be an extremely weird affirmation, specially when confronted with the idea that a leucistic one or any other mutation could be seen as less tacky. I don´t mean to be rude, i´m just genuinely surprised to read this.
In regard to your question, there is no such thing as a "best" axolotl coloration. However, from a genetic point of view, all mutants are definitely inferior as they represent a diluted and modified version of the original species. If you want an A.mexicanum, then the best is definitely a wild type with genetic guarantee (good luck finding those....). If you just want a pet, then any of the commercial aberrants is perfectly good, none of them being any better than the others.
I realize my post can be seen as a bit agressive, please realize that it is not my intention.

Last edited:

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
HI I strongly agree that I would question your motives or respectabilty to even be an owner of such a fasinating beautiful creature as an Axolotl.
The colour is not really relevant as I find that all five on mine seem to sport different charactaristics in personality or whatever you call it.

Go back to basics and ask yourself why you want an Axie and then the colour will seem irrelevant as you enjoy their other aspects.

Whatever the colour they are fasinating to watch hunting.

jclee

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a color preference, but it's a decision only you can make. I will admit that I am less fond of the look of the golden albino axolotls. It's just a matter of taste. No one could convince me they're prettier than the other colors any more than I could convince someone that they're not. No one can convince me to like blue cheese, either, much to my husband's chagrin. Taste preferences are taste preferences. We like what we like.

The real thing, though, is to read all you can, set up and cycle your tank well in advance, and make sure you are an informed owner with a ready home once you're ready to get an axolotl.

DeCypher

Reaction score
You are all right...lol maybe I'm just being dumb. Thank you all! :D

mewsie

Reaction score
You are all right...lol maybe I'm just being dumb. Thank you all! :D

I don't think it's dumb as much as.. Well.. You aren't picking out wallpaper ;)

Anyway, go see some axolotls, perhaps, if you havent already? The most important thing is that your axolotl is gonna be well looked after and well loved ;) Their 'markings' seem to develop as they get older, so you'd need to get an adult if you are really that picky, but my guess is you'd fall in love with that little face, freckles or not ;)

Morrison

Reaction score
I once had to choose between a couple of axies. I wanted a male. But all the males that person was selling had those 'big' heads. I didn't like it. Actually I did buy one of those males.It was the best looking axie and now I love that "big' head :p
He's a leucistic big guy and I actually didn't want to buy a leucistic one, but now it's like: "Oh, that's fine. I'm glad I have such a big male". :D

nixx1985

Reaction score
Do what i do, choose based on your substrate.
black substrate, bright color axie
white substrate, wild type axie
they stands out

melfly

Reaction score
If you want leucistic without markings, have a look at white albinos.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1