Music and Newts

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Linus
So I just got JBL creature speakers from my GF. I set them up in my room that also houses my turtle and Newt.

Will music annoy or harm my newt (Tylototriton kweichowensis.) I know that they use vibrations.

The system has a pretty good sub woofer, but I'm not cranking it. I won't be using it too much and never at very large volumes, just enough to hear the music well.

Is it ok to have these speakers in my room?

It may annoy them a bit, but you could help cushion the reverberation by putting a piece of foam underneath both tanks.

Perhaps also be conscious of the temperature, does your system cause a lot of heat?

Wait music annoys newts? I didn't realize that...I listen to techno all the time!

I feel bad now, annoying my newts all the time. :(

Well I'm not worried about my Belize Slider, turtles don't have real ears and these vibration never annoyed her anyway.

When I get some help, i'll put some foam under newtons tank.

Lol! I wonder if I could soothe them with some Grateful Dead. Or get them hyper and crazy with some Ronnie James Dio. :D

I read a study once where they used Justin Timberlake music to get sharks 'in the mood'.

In the mood for what exactly? commit suicide? go into a homicidal rampage?

Does anybody know N. Viridescens's favorite choice of music?

I doubt they're really all that picky, given they don't have ears.

Haha, very true. :D

I hear they like all 'musical newts', from B sharp to E flat...

Ps. I await a musical prodigy to point out my musical ignorance

I doubt they're really all that picky, given they don't have ears.

I must admit I loved this answer.
Newts will only get annoyed from the wave boom. I mean when a sound system like mine play really loud It will transmit vibrations in therms of frequency of the sound trough the table, floor, walls etc... Like it was said using foam to protect the enclosure will neutralize that problem. As wave sounds will no longer pass when they encounter such material.

Cheers,

My tiger comes out whenever I talk or sing. I can leave music on and he's fine, but if I open my mouth, he wanders above ground. He also likes tv and the computer, and just stares at them when they're on. I can only imagine my voice makes this horrible echo through his glass, and he wants me to shut up. :p
...Or I'm a disney princess or something.

...Of course, I also have ridiculously bad hearing, so I make everything loud, but I already have foam between my tanks and stands, since they're horribly unbalanced. I listen to Japanese psychedelic rock, stupid goth stuff, piano, and whatever I decide to play music on.. ...I like to think Eduardo likes the Cure.

Actually, my voice changes pitch ALOT because I can't hear myself talk that well. So I don't know WHY he comes out when I talk. Hrm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back