Question: Male or Female?

I want to say that Banana is a male...but that's just a guess. I'm not the best with sexing. It's just that Banana looks like he's on the skinnier side, and that's how males are.

Again, that's just a guess. ;)

Banana could use a cheeseburger or two, but it's not emaciated. Based on cloacal size, I'd say female. But it's still pretty young looking.

I would, however, be extremely worried about the gravel in your tank. Gravel of this size can be ingested, and isn't easily passed. This can cause intestinal impaction, which can lead to death.

You need to seriously consider the health of your axolotl and remove the gravel. Sand is a more suitable substrate.

Thanks.. yup, I think I'll give Banana some more worms. :smile:
Gravel is there for a few more days, until her big tank is cycled. I have some good substrate for that. :)

Thank you Kaysie!

Maybe 6 or 7 months.

Just echoing what Kaysie said about the gravel. I know his/her new tank would be ready soon but that gravel could cause some serious harm to Banana. Maybe to be safe you could remove it until Banana gets into the new place. Adorable name by the way, suits it!

This website has pictures of the male and female um, area. Axolotls - Biology Hope that helps!

Thanks both of you. :) 6-7 months? GREAT! :D Banana hopefully has a long life ahead of him/her.
I'll see if I can do some fiddling around with tanks..
Mekkha, thank you, I have seen that before and have also been searching around (articles here are wonderful).. I think it would be best if I had another one of the opposite sex. OH WELL.. better get some more then.:p Oh, incase if your wondering, yes, if they breed I'm very prepared to care for the larvae. I breed Betta Splendens which sounds a lot harder than axies, though of coarse there is heaps of work involved with both.

Okies.. no more tiny gravel. Did a water change while I was at it. :)

Um, silly off topic question - how does the quick reply thing work.. I can't type my comment in it. :confused: :eek:

Okies.. no more tiny gravel. Did a water change while I was at it. :)

Um, silly off topic question - how does the quick reply thing work.. I can't type my comment in it. :confused: :eek:

I'm glad you decided to remove the gravel. Better safe than sorry right? Also, I was wondering that about the quick reply too :lol: Can't figure it out.

You have to click the quick-reply button, which is next to the edit/quote buttons.

Found it! Thanks Kaysie. :)
Yeah, better safe then sorry. Also gave Banana a bit more food.. not heaps, slowly increasing her. I didn't want to suddenly bloat her or anything. Happy little Banana..

Lol I have never used or even noticed the quick reply thing....

I think Banana is a male now. Since he has been in his big tank, he has gotten bigger, his gills are more 'feathery', plus his cloacal is getting bigger, rounder, there also seems to be two "lumps".
I'll try and get a piccy, but Banana isn't really a fan of having photos taken upside down. :p Maybe at dinner tonight I can snap one. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back