Swollen throat...

KYLZE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
KYLZE
Please see attached photo's of Ox our 4 year old Male Axolotl.

IMGP0579.jpg

IMGP0580.jpg

IMGP0581.jpg

IMGP0584.jpg

IMGP0585.jpg

We noticed yesterday he was looking a bit puffy under his mouth.
Today it is worse. He has not been eating much lately, if anything, I think the pellets have been eaten, unless they've disolved. He won't take frozen bloodworms from me and has never been big on live bloodworms.
We haven't seen a poop in prob a week.

I have decided to fridge him. We are in Australia and it does get very hot here. His tank is at 23 degrees here today with the fan blowing on it, it was 25 yesterday, so I put a 2L bottle of froxen water on top with a fan blowing on it. Temperature in Oz over the next couple of days will be 40 degrees.

I think even if he isn't bloated, the fridge should help him get away from the heat for a bit. 2 summer's ago he lost lots of weight (looked like he was going to die) and we fridged him for 2 weeks and he came back better than ever. This summer and last summer he's been fine up till now. Apart from the bloated chin, he looks better than ever. Colours, gills, etc.

Can they get that infection you spoke of from the heat? Or the water getting hot, (maybe bacteria growing or something?) Or do they get it off another live animal. He's been alone in the tank for over a year.

I've checked his mouth, there is nothing in there, just seems to be air, feels soft.

We always check the water with a junior PH test kit (add 3 drops of bromothymol blue ph indicator into half a vial of tank water) and do 2 weekly 1/4 water changes.

Will pop him in the fridge today (following the http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml
Webpage) and update you with his progress as we go. Will go get some live bloodworms to see if he'll eat them tomorrow.

Feel free to offer us any advice…

Edit - added later "Also, just saw in your aquascaping for axolotl's webpage that Limestone, the sedementary form of coral is listed as a bad stone. We've had these in our tank for years. Some one told us these will be good for the PH levels. Should I take them out?"

Thanks,
Kylie & Dean :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like he has something in his mouth. Have you looked in to see if there's a stone in there?

Yeah, we looked in. Couldn't see anything. He's been in the fridge now since yesterday afternoon. When I take him out when I get home today to do the water change and feed him bloodworms, I will check again. Might try open his mouth with a plastic spatula or something. He's very stubborn.
Thanks.

Could you take a picture of his body? Is it swollen as well?

He's pretty big all over anyway but I'm pretty sure his body is a little swollen as well. Hoping it goes down a bit from being in the fridge. Will call my fiance who's at home atm and see if he can open his mouth and check again if there is something in there rather than waiting till I get home. Might be hard to do without me there to hold him.

Will take a photo of his whole body when I get home from work in about 6 hours and post it on here.

Thanks,

Hey,

Took photo's, changed water, left some live blood worms in there with him.

He seems to be loving the cold. We think the swelling has gone down a bit since yesterday. Wish I took photo's of his body then too.

Attached are new pics of him today.

ADDED AFTER: Forgot to mention, i think he has little air pockets under his gills, like where his shoulders would be if he was human. Is this normal?

OX 001.jpg

OX 002.jpg

OX 003.jpg

OX 004.jpg

OX 005.jpg

OX 006.jpg

OX 009.jpg

OX 012.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think he may have bloat, he seems a little puffy all over. If this is the case he'll need veterinary treatment to help him.

Oh great. I have no idea what vets in Perth (if any) know anything about axolotl's. Does anyone know???

What will the vet do to him?

How do they get bloat? From the heat?

Thanks.

Oh great. Thank you. I will call him tomorrow.

Here is a list of herp vets in Australia.

I second Julia's opinion and think it may be bloat. Keep him in the fridge until you get around to your vet appointment.

How do they get bloat? From the heat?

What will the vet do to him?

Bloat can be caused by a number of things. The vet will give you antibiotics to treat it.

His chin may have a slight case of edema and if it is only on the chin (let the doc decide whether the whole body or just the chin has edema.) he is very cute and plump :) what the vet would do is pick him up literally just like what you did in the photos. The vet would touch the whole axo's body in a rubbing or slight pinching motion to feel for anything hard. Then look at their hands and feet. And also touch the chin and open his mouth to take a look. Please let us know what the vet says.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost? Never had to take an axolotl to the vet. Is the fish vet more expensive than say a normal vet? Won't be taking him to a normal vet. Just would be nice to get an idea so I don't fall over. lol.
Thanks.

you can call ahead and ask and they should give you an estimate. Some specialty vets will surprise you, I thought avain vets were going to be expensive, but I got a vet's visit in for a reasonable price

The vets could charge anywhere from 50 to 100 just to see the vet. Then medicine and all other procedures/surgeries would have it's own quote. I highly recommend taking your axis to the vet. I looked at his 'shoulders' today an it does look abnormal. You would be surprised how many exotic pet doctors know about axolotls as axolotls are often something studied at universities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back