Question: Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

porkchop48

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has any one every used the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?

Just wondering if they happened to be any easier.

Yeah they are easier, you don't have to extract the egg shells out from the baby brine shrimp. (egg shells can cause digestion problems).
Another advantage is, you end up with more nutritious live food, as the baby brine shrimp retain energy etc not having to break out of a shell.

I was wondering that too - Thanks Rob :) Do you know how much would be needed to raise say 10 larvae? Looking online I have absolutely no idea whether 20g BS eggs would last a day or a week :S

According to this seller of decapped BBS eggs on Ebay in the US, 1/2 teaspoon of decapped eggs will give you about 150,000 free-swimming nauplii, at a hatching rate of 95% or better. I'll add the link on the bottom so you can see for yourself. Depending on how many eggs/larvae you decide to keep, I think 20g would last you quite a while. :) This particular seller gives you 4oz.

DECAPSULATED BRINE SHRIMP EGGS CORAL FISH FRY FOOD 4oz. - eBay (item 150529681869 end time Jan-04-11 09:25:34 PST)

I know you live in the UK, but this is just an example. :)

That's a very helpful seller! Thanks for that - I'll have to find something equivalent a little closer to home :) I've already ordered 20g of BBS eggs but they're not decapsulated :( so I guess that means lots of tedious filtering and seiving for me! I might try hatching these as practice then order some decapsulated ones ;P

Thank you guys for the help.

Decapsulated eggs ordered and on their way.

I have been using the ones with shells and they were driving me nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Keep both decapsulated and regular brine shrimp cysts in the refrigerator for longer and better viability. 20 grams is going to be around for a very long time. I raised 20 + larvae hatching cysts at 1/4 teaspoon per liter of water and have more than 3/4 of my cycts left over. So 20 grams is alot.

It does not take axies long to go from BBS to daphnia. I would say about 7-10 days most should be ready for daphnia and then the water issues with feeding BBS are gone thank god!

My second batch of larvae will be on daphina soon so ill be able to keep the bbs for the angel fish fry after that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back