Is my tank big enough?

dfziggy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had an axolotl since 07- he was a baby when I got him. He has not grown as large as other adult axolotl's I have seen. Is this because my tank is too small? Would he start growing again if he were in a bigger tank? I think his tank is 25 gallons, but I dont fill it all the way to the top because I want him to be able to easily swim to the top and gulp air if he wants to.

As far as I'm aware, axolotls don't grow to fit the tank they're in like some fish do. Some are just bigger than others I guess! How long is he?

Just for the record, fish don't grow to their tank size either. That's a myth

As far as the size of your tank - sounds fine, especially if it is longer rather than taller. General rule is a foot/10 gallons per axolotl but allow a little larger for the first axolotl like 15 gallons...

I have 11 axolotls, my smallest is 5 inches long and the largest is just over 12 inches long. The size can vary greatly so as long as his water quality is good and you've kept him on a healthy diet (nightcrawlers primarily, hopefully), I wouldn't worry about him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back