Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does anyone know what this is?

Manifest

Reaction score
My girl Lottie has an odd growth. it doesn't seem to be affecting her, but it IS getting larger, she's had it since we first got her, but back then it was barely noticeable on her side and not at all on her tail. I have 2 other lotls, one is sick at the moment so he's quarantined, the other is the picture of health and beauty.

Lottie is eating fine and very active, she never scratches it. I am really just wondering what this is and if I should do anything about it or leave well enough alone?

Also I've noticed her eyes are a little cloudy.

Lottie-Stuff.jpg

morphyrichards

Reaction score
How methodical are you when it comes to clearing your tank? I couldn't help notice there are a lot of bloodworm floating around and quite a few of them are dead and a bit fetid looking. Your axolotls skin condition seems to be really poor which might be related to this, or possibly not if you do maintain a good tank.

How long have you had her?
How big is your tank?
Have you considered fridging?

Have you seen these articles on sores and illnesses in the caudata culture section - Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

Manifest

Reaction score
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply!

My tank is kept pretty clean, we vacuum and water change every 2 weeks and I poop scoop whenever I see them, as well as a sweep every couple of days for uneaten food or whatever detritus they leave around. Sometimes I don't always find the poops before they disintegrate thanks to some swishing tail or other. What you are seeing here is right after I fed her a fresh-out-of-the-freezer block of bloodworm which I defrost and then pipette to them, that's the only time I can catch her still long enough at the front of the tank to photograph her. Here is a comparison of the tumours to August when I last asked about this.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...t in my city and see what he thinks about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1