Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand ?

Srkoe

Reaction score
There's a little packet of stuff in my sand to help the sand settle. Do I use it or not? I also read somewhere else that I should use some in my water...haven't heard that on here?

dragonlady

Reaction score
If in doubt, leave it out...my opinion - especially when it comes to axolotls. There are many chemicals that don't agree with axolotls so if you are unsure of the packet's contents, I wouldn't use it.

The sand will settle on its own - Just make sure you rinsed it out really well and maybe, turn off the filter until it starts to settle.

Srkoe

Reaction score
Thats what I figured. Can't remember the name of it, I'm not at home...magna something. I'm a Shannon too! :)

ted22

Reaction score
If in doubt, leave it out...

Agreed, couldnt have said it better myself! With a good rinse it'll be fine anyways, any hazyness or dust will settle in a week or two anyway with a couple of ya weekly partial water changes, the hazy sand dust wont harm your axies so no need to worry there!

Laters

Ed

Srkoe

Reaction score
Ugh...I screwed up anyways!!! Bought marine sand, set it up last night then a few hours ago read that it is no bueno!!! Just emptied the tank and hubby is buying me play sand at $2.98 for a 50lb bag!!! I'm pretty livid that I literally just threw away $25 that I spent on marine sand! I really had no clue..assumed that getting the sand from Petsmart would be the best option...that's what I get for "assuming"...ugh....

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh PetStupid... I never did like shopping there.

Glad you got it all sorted though!

Srkoe

Reaction score
I let the marine sand sit over night last night and when I got up this morning it still had not settled...at all!!! Put the play sand in this afternoon after rinsing and it settled almost immediately!!! I thought the play sand would be much dirtier, boy was I wrong! Put in 2 Amazon sword plants and three wisteria. I hope they get a pretty good little root system going in the nest 4-6 weeks. Hope to find some java moss this weekend so I can get a moss wall started.

SwissAxie

Reaction score
But your sand in a bucket (half full at a time), put it into your bath tub, take the shower and rinse the stuff turning it round and round with your free hand.
I know it sounds stupid to wash sand, but that is how you take all the fine particles out. Same with gravel.
I might sound like an :ufo:but it works. That's what all the aquariopeople I know do. Wash gravel and sand before you put it in the tank.
If you have a garden, take the bucket outside and use the hose.

Srkoe

Reaction score
Yeah, I rinsed the heck out of both sands!!! The play sand cleaned up so much quicker! I will be taking a trip to Austin this weekend to find some more decorations and plants..really hope to find some java moss. I did wake up this morning however and the water has a tan tinge to it :( is this just part of the cycling process? I started cycling last night with a tiny bit of ammonia. Got my readings to 3.0 for ammonia. Gonna wait a few days to start testing for nitrates/nitrites.

I also really hope to find some red cherry shrimp..thanks to this forum I now want a shrimp tank! If not, I'll just get some ghost shrimp as they are readily available.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any driftwood in the tank? That can leech tannins which will stain your water like tea. It's not dangerous in small amounts, but unsightly.

Srkoe

Reaction score
I have Mopani wood...can't believe I didn't think about that. Will it eventually stop leaching? I hope to get some pics up after this weekend by the way

AjaMich

Reaction score
I also tried using play sand without luck. It never settled.

I'm now using freshwater aquarium sand. After rinsing it for four to five minutes, what I can only describe as an oily residue was completely washed away. This sand also came with a packet you're supposed to add to the water to aid in settling. I decided not to and had no problems with cloudy water. The sand settled immediately.

I'm really really happy with it. Unlike most gravels, this sand is free from artificial coloring and is pH neutral. Like the more expensive Exo-terra river sands, you can actually add it with livestock in the tank. And I think it was about $1 a pound. I actually got it at Petsmart.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!