Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wards natural science?

Srkoe

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered an Axie from here? If so, would you suggest them or not? How big and in what kind of condition was your axie in? Thanks!

Hunter9

Reaction score
i'm not an expert but i checked out the web site for this place. its biological supply- that means that the animals are most likely to be wild caught. wild caught animals normaly arn't in the best of shape. it's different with the axolotol tho. they are almost extinct in the wild so these are most likely captive bred. that being said, they were probably bred in labratory conditions. they basicly keep them in 1 gallon jars- so not the best conditions for an adult axie( or any axe for that matter). even if they weren't kept in these conditions; i wouldnt risk it. so i recomend getting an axie from a reputable breed here on the forum. G'day :D

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I've ordered other caudates (but not axolotls) from Wards and they seem to be pretty "hit or miss." You would be much better off finding axolotls from a breeder here on the forum. There are usually tons of ads for them in the "For Sale" section, although you'll have more luck in the spring.

Good Luck!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try using the forum Search. I think there have been various experiences reported.

Axolotls are never wild-caught, but I would expect all of their other amphibians would be.

Molch

Reaction score
I've ordered earthworms and equipment from them - nice friendly customer service, but they are blissfully clueless about their animals. They shipped earthworms packed with heat packs - which meant the first shipment arrived dead and stinky (they replaced it but still...).

With live orders they send along a cd containing care sheets for all the live animals they sell and those, for the most part, are woefully inadequate. The care sheet for earthworms lumped all worms together and made no distinction between Lumbricus and the compost species. Their care sheet for Notophthalmus viridescens (which they sell as wild-caughts) showed a picture of an utterly emaciated newt that was probably hours from death.

So no...I wouldn't do them for anything alive. Their customer service and shipping for dry goods is top-notch, however.

happycamper

Reaction score
DON"T DO IT!

Wards is where I got my poor little axie, and boy was he is BAD shade when I got him :(

Really thin, missing all his feet and 2 legs, his tail fin is fused to his body... all around sad.
He has grown his legs back and gained weight, but his tail fin is still fused.

They sent it to me shipped with a heating pad as well. Poor little guy... I have been nursing him back to health for a couple months :mad:

schr0eder

Reaction score
I got my axolotl from them at the beginning of this summer. When he arrived he was a touch on the small side and probably a touch to young, his back legs were not 100% fully formed. That being said he was in good health and ate pellets readily. When I got him he was around 2 inches now, about 4 months later he is between 6 and 7 inches. However I would not order from them in any extreme weather conditions, my guy arrived with out an icepack.
At my school axolotls are bred and raised in labratory conditions, and while they might not be award winning in any respect, they grow into normal sized adults, most of them about 10 inches.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1